New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - MacBook Volume keys not changing volume

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

btm7687

btm7687 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

First post on the forums and unfortunately not such a good one. I hope this is in the right section, but I am having issues with my volume keys (F10,F11,F12) working correctly. I just purchased one of the new unibody 2.4GHz 13.3" MacBook's about 3 weeks ago. Had no issues with it until now. I guess this is the first time I've plugged something in the headphone jack, but initially after I plugged something in, the volume keys wouldn't change volume. The only way I could change it was by going to the Youtube video or iTunes and changing the slider. After opening the System Preferences --> Sounds --> Output it would work correctly.

However, now this is doing it for my speakers too. I unplugged my headphones and my volume keys still will not change the volume. I am not getting a red light out of the headphone jack and I do not have the circle with the slash below my volume level when I click the buttons. When I push them it still makes the little pop and the bar shows the level changing, but the level never changes. Also if I click the main sound indicator at the top bar next to the clock and click the buttons, it does not show the volume changing.

This happened last night with headphones, today with headphones, and just now without headphones. I am almost positive a restart would fix the issue, but that seems more like a Band-Aid than a solution to permanently fix the issue. I would rather not have to restart my computer every time I plug in headphones or take them out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bryan M.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Server is a piece of junk | proxy configuration: "Select a protocol to configure" is missing »