New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Accessing the Root account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coalitionguy

coalitionguy is on a distinguished road

Using my admin account, I'm not able to backup files in my wife's home directory. I decided to enable the Root account and use it each time I do my weekly backup. I've gone into NetInfomanager and enabled it, but when I log out, I don't see the "other" account that I've read I'm supposed to. It seems pretty straight forward; am I just missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

did you log out of root after you were done? what are your macs specs?
QUOTE Thanks
coalitionguy

coalitionguy is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. As far as I can tell, I was never logged into Root; I simply enabled it. I have never been able to get to a login screen that would allow me to log into Root. I cant really imagine there's a problem with my Mac. I presume it's just me treadding in foreign waters.

Dual 2.0 Ghz G5
1.5 Ghz RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

try giong to system preferences>accounts>and see if your wifes account is listed and what limitations, if any, there are to that account.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

System Prefs >> Account is where youll find a checkbox for listing user names and having a blank to enter "root" or "System Administrator" to log in as root. or you can simply open the Terminal and have shell access to switch user to superuser(root) by typing: su

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac | Finding i860 Printer Model File »