New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - youtube video won't play properly in Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imacQ

imacQ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: g5 iMac, MBP, iPhone 4 and more.

When I try to view youtube video the playback is staggered/stuttered/choppy, with a low frame-rate, all I'm seeing is a series of still images not fluid motion, if that makes any sense. The audio playback is fine.

If I open the exact same video in Firefox (using the Develop>Open Page With...) it plays fine.

I've tried repairing disk permissions, Macjanitor, Cocktail, deleting all cookies, used Yasu to clear out logs etc... still no joy.

Time for me to abandon Safari?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've searched this forum (and google) and can't find a solution...

I'm using the Beta Safari 4, and it WAS playing youtube videos fine, then about a week or so, this problem started.

Using Tiger 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

I think you've answered your own question, ie. use a browser that works with YouTube. Why Safari should work initially and then not, I cannot say.
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This seems to be a fairly common problem. See this article. Remedies include: a) repairing permissions, b) uninstalling then reinstalling Adobe flash, c) downgrading flash to version 9.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
imacQ

Thing is I like Safari... I don't like Firefox, that's a discussion for another tread, and one that's been had many times already, but I like to be able to use the apps I like, I like to have the choice... don't we all?

Also to Juan, thanks, but my problem is not causing a system freeze, or even causing safari to crash, it's just effecting video playback...
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacQ View Post
I like Safari .. I don't like Firefox .. I like to be able to use the apps I like, I like to have the choice .. don't we all?
Fair point (eg. I don't like or use Safari ), my suggestion is aimed at pragmatism. Have a look at Safari's Preferences > Security to make sure all the Web Content is enabled.

Have you tried Camino or Opera? I use the former, and it does a good job - quickly. It isn't perfect, oh no, there are several features yet to be developed, but it works fine with YouTube. Opera is fast, but is too susceptible to ads.
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacQ View Post
Also to Juan, thanks, but my problem is not causing a system freeze, or even causing safari to crash, it's just effecting video playback...
Yes, but even though you don't have a system freeze, I'm betting your problem is related to a problem with Adobe flash.

What information is displayed when you go to this Adobe flash web site?

If it doesn't say you have a good install, then you need to reinstall Adobe flash.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
imacQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
Yes, but even though you don't have a system freeze, I'm betting your problem is related to a problem with Adobe flash.

What information is displayed when you go to this Adobe flash web site?

If it doesn't say you have a good install, then you need to reinstall Adobe flash.
Juan,

Sorry about the delay in replying, for some reason your replies aren't being forwarded to my email, I've rechecked my account settings, and it's definitely supposed to be!

I now have the full version of Safari, but the same problem. I went to the site you recommended and got the message 'Adobe flash player successfully installed' but it does play back choppily...

It does indicate that I could have more up to date version of Flash, I assumed that OSX would ensure I was up to date automatically... it seems I was wrong!

thanks for the tip, and I hope this fixes it...
QUOTE Thanks
nattapong

nattapong is on a distinguished road

I just got my new iMAC 27" i3. Which mean new OS, plenty of HD, RAM etc.... I have experience the same problem discussed here. First I cannot play YouTube at all because it requested for installing Flash player. I have difficulty installing Flash and have to sort for help in this forum and tried different methods until I finally able to install Flash and played YouTube. However, experience freeze up, at that time I have virtual machine running. Then exhausting from trying to install I stopped. At later time, I try to run youtube again, which was successful. I guessed it must be virtual machine at last session. However, I was wrong. Today I run into the problem of freeze up again. This time I was successfully run youtube several times with virtual machine on until it freeze up at one of youtube. I tried closing virtual machine, still freeze at exact the same point. That's it for today. I will experiment and will report here again with and without success. BTW, I am a veteran PC user just switching to MAC. Will see what my knowledge about computer from PC would transfer to fixing problem in Mac. I think this should be some issue about Mac OSX and Flash ... though I cannot comment anything regarding version just yet since everything is a new version for me.

I tried to install and reinstall Flash many times before I got it to work. So I will not experiment with this until I try something else and fail.
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Didnt check the date of original post.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with iTunes account | OS X Retrival from Seller »