New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How To Compile .cpp Files On Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sub-Zer0

Sub-Zer0 can only hope to improve

I downloaded g++ and put

Code:
g++ password.cpp -o RandomPswrd
^ this in the termional but I get a bash error. The .cpp is in the gcc-4.40 folder. I just dragged the password.cpp into the folder. How can I compile these files?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

do you get a specific bash error?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

-bash: g++: command not found

???

That's after I put in the code the RandomPswrd can be anything right?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

That error usually shows up if either:

1) The path to the executable is not in the exported path
2) The software hasn't been installed.

Just out of curiosity, have you installed g++, or the xcode developer pack? AFAIK, installing OSX by itself doesn't install the compilers. I think a version of XCode may be on the OSX disc that you can install, but you might as well get the most current version from apple and register as a developer. It's free and once properly installed, you should have no problems.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

GCC/G++ has to be compiled (the irony).

Download the developer tools from the Apple developer site or install Xcode/dev tools from your OS X installation disc to get an installed binary of GCC. Your best bet is to get it from the Apple dev site though as Xcode will be a newer version there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

bump

I downloaded xcode but now I get

i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1: password.cpp: No such file or directory
i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1: no input files
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

so is password.cpp in the directory you're running the compile from?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

What do you mean? It is in a gcc-4.40 folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

you have to be in the directory your source is in to compile it.

So, for instance.. if your password.cpp was in your home directory under a folder called source.. you'd have to

cd ~/source
g++ password.cpp -o RandomPasswd

for it to compile. Or, you'd have to specify the path to the source like

g++ /path/to/password.cpp -o RandomPasswd

It can't guess where your source is.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

Ok, so I put a folder called source in finder > steven (right below "desktop") and inside the source folder is the password.cpp and now I get this:

password.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
password.cpp:8: error: ‘srand’ was not declared in this scope
password.cpp:18: error: ‘rand’ was not declared in this scope
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Now you have programatic errors

Try gdb password.cpp

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I'll give you a hint - you're missing an include file

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

what include file?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Read here and here - those may help.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Destination for Install of OS X | Change language »