New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X Acting up one me, lock-ups...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StealthMode

For some reason, all of a sudden OS X keeps locking up when I try to access the applications folder, or try to do other things. It sits there a crunches, and locks up, or is in an infinite crunch. I was downloading the update to limewire, but I canceled part way into the download. Well, I can't delete the partial file off the desktop, I click on it, and it goes back into infinite crunch mode. The only way to restart my powerbook is to hold the power button till it turns off, and then power up again. This is getting REALLY frustrating since I can't do a thing in OS X . Any ideas as to wtf is ging on, and how I can fix this? I really appreciate any help.

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Have you tried working in the terminal? Will that work?
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

No I haven't, what should I do from there? I can't seem to be able to access hardly anything with out it going into crunchmode. Man I am getting frustrated, I need it for school, plus I got assignments on it. DoH! What a night

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
nko

Do you have any experience with a terminal?

Basically, all you've gotta do is launch Terminal from the Applications -> Utilities directory (hopefully it doesn't choke before you get there!). Once the terminal is up and running and waiting for your command, it should work to just do the following commands:

cd Desktop

rm thefilesexactname

However, it sounds like something's really not right with your system. I occasionally get permanent hangs and stuff, too. I think Finder might just be buggy. Most people never have a single problem. I've gotta restart the computer from time to time with the power button. I hope Panther's Finder will be more stable. I'm already drooling at the new features!
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

I have no experiance with the terminal. Also, as soon as I click applications, it freezes. :-/ I am running some disk utilities right now off my OS X Disc .

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
nko

Heh, at first I thought you meant that you were trying to do everything while running disk utilities in the background.

It probably wont work, but try rebooting, then in Finder (without opening any windows yet), go Go -> Folder and navigate to the Utilities folder.
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

It seems what ever I try access , no matter what it is outside the desktop only, it goes into Infinite Crunch-Mode

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

Is there a key command for the terminal by chance?? That miight work better then this..

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

No there isnt as far as I know.. this is really strange.. I have not had any problems with my finder.. ever! at least with OS X that is.. it's probably because of LimeWire.. they're pretty messed up anyways.. hmm..
hmm..
hmm..

Are you logged in as the administrator?
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

How do I do this again? LOL

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Well you log out.. or restart your computer.. and then whoever you set as the administrator.. log in as that person.
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

heh, you make is sound so easy! But, I don't get that screen, (how do I get it to popup when I am booting up?) and when I try to logout, it hangs on me again. Like I said, I can't hardly do anything with out it hanging.
Thanx again

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Wow, you're definitely having problems arent you? Hmm.. Ok it sounds like something is quite wrong.. so what I would do is just let it sit there with the disk spinning. When something has gone wrong with my computer.. I usually shut it down.. even if it looks like it has hung, usually it is just fixing itself.. then it will shutdown/restart.. and when you bring it back up.. it usually takes a long time again (5mins - 1hour) to continue fixing itself and then everything is great.

See if you can do that.. unless it's just plain hanging no matter how long you wait..
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

I had it just sitten there for a long time, close to a half hour with nuthing, but, I'll try it, heck, I need to get to sleep. 4:30am here.... Talk to you tomorrow, hopefully I can get this thing working...
Thanx again

Stealth -
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah once you get up.. give us the status of how it's doing.. exactly what it is doing, so forth and so forth.. between all of us.. we should be able to figure it out
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Prefs Router Setting for 2nd card for shared internet | No more IE for MAC? »