Thread: Data recovery

Data recovery
    I now the subject of data recovery on macbooks has been been hammered to the point of insanity, however, I think my conditions warrant an other than obvious response. Here's the deal:

I am here in Iraq as a contractor.(same job as I had in the Corps... just more money) I was watching a movie on my Macbook(tiger) The screen froze on me. I went to start it up and it stalled at the spinning pinwheel.(no infamous clicking) I called Apple and they walked me through a whole buncha steps and determined that, Yes I was screwed, Yes the disk is mounted, and my warranty is No longer valid. I used this as an excuse to upgrade to a Macbook pro, thinking I could just do a data extraction between the pro and the book using the firewire. that's a no go as I found out. (friggin 9 pin pro!) I have allot of data on my Book that I need. What can I do?

Oh and Yes.. I am an idiot for not bringing my OS disks or backing up my files.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    What mac book is that.

If target disk mode is a no go, then you will have to pull the disk out and put it inside an external enclosure
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

It running osx 10.4 Tiger. I don't currently have any access to an external. Should I just wait to get home to do the recovery? All my music and all my family photos are in there. Plus some "other" family stuff

how do I get to target disk mode again?

Specs:
    Target disk mode is activated using the T key, if the screen manages to show a firewire icon then you are good to go
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Is it regular practice to delete someone's post when they ask for help?
    I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... WTF?

Specs:
    No it isn't usual, maybe a glitch in the system, but there has been a spate of thread hijacking on here with spammers posting in to legit threads

Did target disk mode work by the way

yes,it recognized the HD, but still wouldn't boot. I was able to boot it through an old backup I did in Aug... and recover some music from the backup. I guess I will have to drop the money when I get home.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
    I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... WTF?
    Nobody deleted your thread.
    However, it was moved to a more appropriate forum.
    Your issue dealt with a software (data retrieval) issue, not a hardware issue.

This thread is now being merged with your original

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information