New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Data recovery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marine_mike

marine_mike is an unknown at this point

I now the subject of data recovery on macbooks has been been hammered to the point of insanity, however, I think my conditions warrant an other than obvious response. Here's the deal:

I am here in Iraq as a contractor.(same job as I had in the Corps... just more money) I was watching a movie on my Macbook(tiger) The screen froze on me. I went to start it up and it stalled at the spinning pinwheel.(no infamous clicking) I called Apple and they walked me through a whole buncha steps and determined that, Yes I was screwed, Yes the disk is mounted, and my warranty is No longer valid. I used this as an excuse to upgrade to a Macbook pro, thinking I could just do a data extraction between the pro and the book using the firewire. that's a no go as I found out. (friggin 9 pin pro!) I have allot of data on my Book that I need. What can I do?

Oh and Yes.. I am an idiot for not bringing my OS disks or backing up my files.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What mac book is that.

If target disk mode is a no go, then you will have to pull the disk out and put it inside an external enclosure

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
marine_mike

It running osx 10.4 Tiger. I don't currently have any access to an external. Should I just wait to get home to do the recovery? All my music and all my family photos are in there. Plus some "other" family stuff
QUOTE Thanks
marine_mike

how do I get to target disk mode again?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Target disk mode is activated using the T key, if the screen manages to show a firewire icon then you are good to go

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
marine_mike

I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... WTF?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

No it isn't usual, maybe a glitch in the system, but there has been a spate of thread hijacking on here with spammers posting in to legit threads

Did target disk mode work by the way

QUOTE Thanks
marine_mike

yes,it recognized the HD, but still wouldn't boot. I was able to boot it through an old backup I did in Aug... and recover some music from the backup. I guess I will have to drop the money when I get home.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
I just posted a thread stating that I was in Iraq and my macbook HD is mounted but doesn't boot. I got one response... but now it seems someone deleted the thread... WTF?
Nobody deleted your thread.
However, it was moved to a more appropriate forum.
Your issue dealt with a software (data retrieval) issue, not a hardware issue.

This thread is now being merged with your original

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook G4 wireless configuration question | How to make cursor mouse got circle When clicking? »