New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard on Older mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benben2142

benben2142 is on a distinguished road

Will leopard lagg and go slow if it runs on a 733Mhz PPC G4 processor along with Ilife nine and Iwork nine Using leopard assist?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It will be a bit sluggish on that G4, as well, some parts of iLife 09 will not run at all

Apple - iLife - System requirements for iLife ’09 on the Mac.

Saying that Tiger works fine on that G4 (Ihave got one) and iWork 08 works but is a little slow

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Zero

Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.

Without some "modification" - you can't install Leopard on any G4 less than the 867mhz. Saying that...I have leopard on my 1.0ghz G4 emac and it runs ilife09 OK - not great. Once it loads, its OK. The operating system (leopard) itself is noticeably slower than Tiger too (IMHO). I have 1GB memory on that emac too. Its tolerable, but I don't know if I recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

LeopardAssist will allow you to install it on sub-867MHz computers, but it's probably a TERRIBLE idea! I'm running Leopard on a 1.33GHz iBook G4, and it can barely play movies a lot of the time. Fortunately, I have very simple needs, so it doesn't bother me too much.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
benben2142

benben2142 is on a distinguished road

So should I just get leopard? Or should I buy the Mac Box set? I actually honestly have no need for the Ilife but I just wanted to be sorta complete.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben2142 View Post
So should I just get leopard? Or should I buy the Mac Box set? I actually honestly have no need for the Ilife but I just wanted to be sorta complete.
I would recommend installing Tiger if you can get your hands on it. It's technically possible to run Leopard, but you'll have the world's slowest computer.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Install / Download Issue | Accounts question... »