New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - "Open With" On mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CoolK

CoolK is on a distinguished road

i have created a Mac OS application using XCode to Compile and Qt Frameword to develop

i am facing a major problem regarding the "open with" command on Mac OS

first of all , my application is supposed to support type files such as "djf" files

if i open my program and work on it for a while , the user has the option to save his work file as djf files

now if the user clicks back on the djf file , my application is supposed to open and load the djf file clicked by the user

the first problem that i am facing is that , the "open with" command on MAC OS is graying out my application so the user has to change the options on the top from "Recommended applications" to "all applications" so that the user will be able to click on my application and select it

the second problem that i have is that even though the user selects my application, my application opens a new instance of it self rather than loading the file being passed as an argument using the command line

i did few tests on my application and i found that my application never receives the file name as an argument in the main.cpp and that was the reason of why it doesnt load the file

i did few more tests using the command line of mac OS where a user can simply say:

open -a [application path/application.app] [argument "file name"]

i noticed that my application never receives [argument "file name"]

then i noticed that if you remove "open -a" from the command line and just keep [application path/application.app] [argument "file name"] while diving in to the application.app/Contents/MacOS/applicationName

this will certainly pass all the parameters needed and my application will load the saved work document to be edited once again

so i am pretty confused , why "open -a" is not passing the right arguments

please note: that open -a only passes two arguments to my application
1- the application path
2- a wierd argument which says "psn_0_xxxxxx"

but as soon as you type in the command line

application.app/Contents/MacOS/applicationName [filename]

this will pass the right arguments to my application

if some one can answer my question that would be great

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

What is your question?
QUOTE Thanks
CoolK

the question is

how can you open a file type with a specific application

because its not working for me
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I don't know much about OSX programming, but you may have to do something, perhaps a plist or something, that notifies the system that your program should be associated with those files.

Unfortunately, your question extends beyond the just open a file with a specific app, since you are able to do that but it is launching your program in a separate instance (which also might imply that you may have to identify if your program is already running and pass the handle to the existing instance of your app).

Unfortunately, your question is more suited to a developer forum rather then a users forum Have you given apples developer forums a try on your question? I know Apple has a set, and there are a few other forums out there for OSX developers (doing a quick google search on OSX Developer forum) - you might be able to get a more accurate response to your issue...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
CoolK

thanks a lot Nethfel I'll try that out

maybe the MacOS forum is the place where to post such question
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This is something that has to be set programmatically (I think). I would also suggest going to a forum that talks specifically about Qt or a Qt mailing list. I'm sure Trolltech/Nokia has one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CoolK

i have done this already and i am going to let you know if i find a solution to benefit every one
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Partial TimeCapsule Restore | Revert OSX »