New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - once i install a program it won't work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saadra

saadra is on a distinguished road

hey, I have installed many different programs and i only just realised that the problem as not with the programs I was trying to install.
This is what would happen, I would install a program, lets say I wanted to install Firefox. Once I finished installing the program, I dragged the Firefox icon to the dock and then when I try to go on it, the icon bounced twice and then stop. this happens to countless number of other programs, does any body know why this is happening?

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Have you tried repairing disk permissions and doing a full disk repair by booting up from the OS X CD?

10.3 is also pretty long in the tooth now. Firefox needs 10.4 minimum, so that will explain your problem with that one.
QUOTE Thanks
saadra

i have lost my os x cd and if u knw where i can get a knew disc from, that would be helpful
also i tried to install itunes 8 aswell, doest that need 10.4 minimum aswell?

edit: just realised most program do need 10.4, how much would a 10.4 OS X disc cost? also would it work on a power book g4.
also another problem with my laptop is that for some reason the sound stop working on it. i was on holiday and i left my laptop at home and i think that someone at home must of droped the laptop or deleted a driver. if i plug in headphones or external speakers the sound works perfectly. i was wondering is there any way in which i can check whether the speakers are busted or if the sound driver is deleted or something.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

What are the specs of your PowerBook? It will almost certainly run Tiger, but if it is new enough, you may be able to run the latest version of OS X, Leopard, which will be supported for even longer then Tiger.

As for the sound problem, try going to System Preferences>Sound and click on the Output tab. Make sure the internal speakers are listed as the output type.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadra View Post
Once I finished installing the program, I dragged the Firefox icon to the dock and then when I try to go on it, the icon bounced twice and then stop. this happens to countless number of other programs, does any body know why this is happening?

thanks in advance
How exactly are you installing them?

It sounds like you may be missing a step or two.
Check out this thread for information on how to properly install applications:

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
saadra

Quote:
As for the sound problem, try going to System Preferences>Sound and click on the Output tab. Make sure the internal speakers are listed as the output type.
In system preferences, sound, output, it says name=headphones port:built-in audio.
I'm not sure, but does that mean that the volume is only suppose to come out of the headphone port?
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

You definitely want to upgrade to Tiger if you EVER want to run anything ever again! The amount of decent freeware for Panther is so slim. But what are your specs? If the PowerBook is less than 1 GHz, you might not have a fun movies + gaming experience.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't create new image of 10.5 OS | Benefits... or not to relocate the Users folder to External Hard Drive »