laurance2
    old G4 + mac os X = good?
    I currently have an old g4 tower that is running on mac os9.2, the machine speed is 450 Mhz and the memory is 512MB. I am running final cut pro 2 and photoshop etc which have always run very smoothly, its incredibly stable, more so than bigger and better G4's & 5's I have used. I was just wondering if i were to install mac osX, would this mess up everything too much, i have heard mixed reactions from a few people, but am unsure whether they actually know what they are talking about. It is essential that final cut pro works well though.
    I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Since you are running Final Cut Pro 2, I would keep the system at the OS level that you are at. You would need to upgrade to at least version 3 of Final Cut Pro, to run in OS X. Trying to run Final Cut Pro in classic mode would be a pain to say the least. If you have enough disk space you could create a dual booy system. Then you can run Final Cut Pro 2 with no problem in OS 9 and be able check out OS X.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

mamatroll
    Question Running Panther fine
    If this is any help, I have what is termed a "first generation" G4 and I upgraded everytime they came out with a new OS. I'm currently running OS 10.3.8 with no problems. I do have a question and might post a new thread.

Recently I read in Macworld about maintenance that automatic scripts are run to keep the hard drive healthy. This requires leaving the computer awake over night a couple times during the month. I don't understand how this works. Should something like Explorer be open? Should I log out first or leave it logged on? Please, if anyone knows, I'd like a little more guidance.

Thanks

Mamatroll

Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Since you are running Final Cut Pro 2, I would keep the system at the OS level that you are at. You would need to upgrade to at least version 3 of Final Cut Pro, to run in OS X. Trying to run Final Cut Pro in classic mode would be a pain to say the least. If you have enough disk space you could create a dual booy system. Then you can run Final Cut Pro 2 with no problem in OS 9 and be able check out OS X.

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatroll
    If this is any help, I have what is termed a "first generation" G4 and I upgraded everytime they came out with a new OS. I'm currently running OS 10.3.8 with no problems. I do have a question and might post a new thread.

Recently I read in Macworld about maintenance that automatic scripts are run to keep the hard drive healthy. This requires leaving the computer awake over night a couple times during the month. I don't understand how this works. Should something like Explorer be open? Should I log out first or leave it logged on? Please, if anyone knows, I'd like a little more guidance.

Thanks

Mamatroll
    I believe you're referring to running cron scripts...those can be set in Terminal by typing "sudo sh /etc/daily", setting the "daily" to weekly or monthly and it doesn't interfere with the apps - the computer just has to be on. There's more on this and other maintenance on this thread if you like.
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...t=cron+scripts

mamatroll
    maintenance
    Thanks for an explanation that was simple enough for me. And thanks for the link.

I still want to know whether I should log off as administrator on my computer when leaving it on for this -- or does it matter?
    mamatroll

Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    I believe you're referring to running cron scripts...those can be set in Terminal by typing "sudo sh /etc/daily", setting the "daily" to weekly or monthly and it doesn't interfere with the apps - the computer just has to be on. There's more on this and other maintenance on this thread if you like.
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...t=cron+scripts

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    AFAIK you shouldn't have to. I never really log out of admin - but I'm the only user

mamatroll
    Thanks. I have another question that's actually about this forum. I had to look for this thread for about an hour before I found this. I even searched for posts with my name and it came up with none. How do you return to threads that you have posted on or that you have started? I am not that adept at forums and don't quite get how to navigaate them.

Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    AFAIK you shouldn't have to. I never really log out of admin - but I'm the only user

Thread Information