New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - tried to open my safari a question mark appeared over it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joyfulgirl

joyfulgirl is on a distinguished road

I am very new to using a forum, but am at a total loss with this...
I turned on my iMac nite before last and when I tried to open my safari a question mark appeared over it and wouldn't run. so I checked all the programs on the toolbar, and my iPhoto and word are doing the same.?!?
I know time machine will be the obvious answer, but being my first mac, I thought it backed it up automatically, like my old pc.
any suggestions please?? I had a ton of family treasures in those photos...

thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sounds like the apps may have moved, since the icons in the doc can no longer link to the original application

Are all your applications still at Hard disk > Applications

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Did you happen to change the name of your "home" folder?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
approbations
That might be the wrong word choice .

As louishen stated, when a question mark appears over a dock icon, the application has either moved from its original location or been deleted. Are these applications still present in /Applications? Can you open them from there? If so, simply replace the icons in the dock that are already there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

thanks for the spell check

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

wow. you guys are quick - Thank You!
I've checked in the HD applications, and sadly there is a vacant spot where iPhoto and safari were...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

If they are the only missing apps (I can only guess someone moved or deleted them) then....

Do a spotlight search to see if they have been moved, if you find them, place them back in the Applications folder

If they have been deleted you can put them back from your restore disks. A program like Pacifist will examine your install disks and allow you to copy over just the missing apps, rather than completely re-install Mac OS X

Download Pacifist for Mac - Install individual files from .pkg installers and more. MacUpdate Mac Compression Software Downloads

QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

I am so greatful for all you help!
no luck with the search, soI will certainly do the pacifist.
one last question though...
do I need to reinstall leopard to get safari back to the dock so I can download pacifist? I am currently using the Internet on my iPhone.
again, thank yous!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No. If you execute the following command at the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app), you can download Firefox (which you can remove later should you prefer Safari):
Code:
curl -O http://mirror2.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.8/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.0.8.dmg

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

unless I'm missing it (which there is a high possibility) I entered the above noted code, and a bunch of columns appear (%total, speed upload, time left...) then my computer's name, then nothing...
is this what's suposed to happen?
QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

I managed to get a bit more accomplished, but still no firefox... after inputting the code, a constant beeping and a ton of random letters and symbols appeared. at the end, 2c1; 2c1;2c1... followed by "-bash 2c1: command not found"

it seems like we're getting closer...any more assistance available or have I reached my help quota?
thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just pasted the code Van posted into my terminal and Firefox downloaded into my user folder. Did you see the numbers changing in the columns?
Are you sure you got the who line of code?

Glad I tried it as my Firefox was one version behind!
QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

hmm...the iPod makes it terribly difficult to scroll sideways, but if the code ends with %203.0.8.dmg
then yes, I got the whole code.
as for columns, I see none...and no numbers changing.
QUOTE Thanks
joyfulgirl

originally, when I saw the columns, it was before I had the entire code so wasn't entering it properly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think what is going on is I copied and pasted the code into the terminal while you are looking at your iPod Touch and typing it in. I have a feeling you are getting some symbol wrong.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HTC Disk Drive (Faster File Transfer) and Mac OS X Tiger | Root User-Super user »