New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - I deleted my Macintosh HD!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarlitoJay

CarlitoJay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

Probably the most moronic thing i have ever done. I wanted to do a complete reinstall and somehow along the way deleted the Macintosh HD. I did this trying to reinstall Leopard with install disc 1 in the drive. Now when i turn on my Mac it loads up the disc straight away asking for my language settings, then it says the software could not be installed and goes to the Mac OS X Installer page with only a handful of options like disk utility.

I made up a backup via Time Machine on an external HD but when i click 'Restore by Time Machine' nothing happens.

Is there a way i can rectify this terrible error.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.I also apologise if this is the wrong area i have posted in.

Im generally not fantastic with computers (go figure) so any explanation in the simplest terms would be awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
Huey69

Huey69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz

When your mac starts up, select your language, and then open Disk Utitilty. You should see the drive listed under there. Make sure it is mounted. If it's mounted, perhaps try and format it, then try the install again.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlitoJay

Cheers. I'll try that. I asked on another forum and got a few ways to fix it but all failed.I think im just going to have to visit the Apple Store in London.

Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitoJay View Post
Cheers. I'll try that. I asked on another forum and got a few ways to fix it but all failed.I think im just going to have to visit the Apple Store in London. Thanks for the reply.
Bring your credit card when you go there. You can fix it yourself.

Bring up Disk Utility as has been suggested, highlight the drive, format it as HFS + with one partition, name it "Macintosh HD". Then instead of proceeding with the installation of OS X and software, select restore from Time Machine.

Make sure your external HDD is attached and mounted. Select which backup you want and proceed. That should do it if everything goes well. If not, the folks at the Apple store will take care of it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlitoJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Bring your credit card when you go there. You can fix it yourself.

Bring up Disk Utility as has been suggested, highlight the drive, format it as HFS + with one partition, name it "Macintosh HD". Then instead of proceeding with the installation of OS X and software, select restore from Time Machine.

Make sure your external HDD is attached and mounted. Select which backup you want and proceed. That should do it if everything goes well. If not, the folks at the Apple store will take care of it.

Regards.
Sorry. What do you mean by HFS +?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitoJay View Post
Sorry. What do you mean by HFS +?
HFS+ is the filesystem that OS X uses for hard drives much like Windows uses NTFS. This is a technical thing and irrelevant to your daily usage of your Mac.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Mac OSX Extended Journalized is what you want. HFS+ is not in the menu in Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlitoJay

Thanks for all the help guys but again no luck.

Looks as if i'll be going to the Apple store tomorrow. Anyone know how much it may cost to fix?
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

You need to book an appointment in advance on the web for the genius bar and you will surely not get one the following day, but they will most likely help you out free of charge.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlitoJay

Hey guys.

Managed to get things sorted after i found my discs. Lost all my stuff though as my backups didn't work.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Releases 10.5.6 Update | Clock »