New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard - upgrade yes or no?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marsoup

marsoup is on a distinguished road

Hey, there - I'm the happy owner of a pre-intel G5 that works just fine.

I recently went to the Mac store and was counseled to purchase a 3-pack of upgrades (iLife, iWork and Leopard). There is some neat stuff on iweb 09 that I particularly like.

However - I'm getting a bit gunshy - does anybody have advice/experience with this. I wouldn't be worried if I had an itel mac but I don't; I bought it just before the switch to intel.

What do you think? Will upgrading to Leopard make me regret it? Are there actually reasons NOT to upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

Davidk02 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac

It just depends on what you want to do with it. I have a Mini with Tiger that works fine. I also have a Macbook with Leopard. For what I do, Tiger is more than ample. Is Leopard nice? Definately. Do I have to have it? Not really. I don't have any experience running it on a G5, but I haven't heard of any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Leopard lags a bit on my 1.33 GHz iBook G4, but would probably run very well on a G5. How fast is your machine, and how much RAM?

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
marsoup

Hey, there, kahilil88 - my machine is a 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with a 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM... I'm not much of a techie; what do you think?

The thing I like about iLife 09 is that it provides a built in FTP publisher, instead of having to buy yet another FTP program... unless someone knows a good free one? I'm looking to have to buy Fetch Softworks (recommended by my hosting provider. Since I've already bought the upgrades, I guess I should use them.

My other question concerns backing up files - if I do a Leopard upgrade, do I need to worry about backing up my data?

m
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Author David Pogue advised many years ago on backing up there are only two types of computer users ~ they who have lost everything and those who are about to.

Yep backup, backup, backup, whatever system you use. Best way is with an external driv e connected to your G5 by Firewire as PPC's machines generally cannot boot from an external drive via USB, even USB 2.

Best way IMHO is with SuperDuper. the registered version takes about 15 minutes to do a complete system backup with Smart Backup.

Leopard will run just fine. it is fast and rock steady.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsoup View Post
my machine is a 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with a 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM... I'm not much of a techie; what do you think?

The thing I like about iLife 09 is that it provides a built in FTP publisher, instead of having to buy yet another FTP program... unless someone knows a good free one? I'm looking to have to buy Fetch Softworks (recommended by my hosting provider. Since I've already bought the upgrades, I guess I should use them.

My other question concerns backing up files - if I do a Leopard upgrade, do I need to worry about backing up my data?
Your machine should have no problem running Leopard. The G5 systems were as good as Macs got before Apple switched to Intel CPUs.

I don't know anything about the iLife FTP program, but there are many free ones (Cyberduck is a good one).

I've never backed up data before upgrading. It's not very likely any problem will occur, unless it's a stormy day and there's a power surge, or the disc is horribly scratched and scuffed. Then again, backing up is still good practice since data loss is always sudden and unexpected.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
marsoup

Thanks all - I'm doing backups now and plunging ahead! Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Once you get used to Leopard, there's no way you can go back to Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Once you get used to Leopard, there's no way you can go back to Tiger.
Why would one want to? Leopard is fast and rock steady.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« networking | Problems with system preferences/background »