Leopard - upgrade yes or no?
    Hey, there - I'm the happy owner of a pre-intel G5 that works just fine.

I recently went to the Mac store and was counseled to purchase a 3-pack of upgrades (iLife, iWork and Leopard). There is some neat stuff on iweb 09 that I particularly like.

However - I'm getting a bit gunshy - does anybody have advice/experience with this. I wouldn't be worried if I had an itel mac but I don't; I bought it just before the switch to intel.

What do you think? Will upgrading to Leopard make me regret it? Are there actually reasons NOT to upgrade?

Specs:
    Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
    It just depends on what you want to do with it. I have a Mini with Tiger that works fine. I also have a Macbook with Leopard. For what I do, Tiger is more than ample. Is Leopard nice? Definately. Do I have to have it? Not really. I don't have any experience running it on a G5, but I haven't heard of any problems.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro A1297 2.3 GHz i7 4GB DDR-1333
    Leopard lags a bit on my 1.33 GHz iBook G4, but would probably run very well on a G5. How fast is your machine, and how much RAM?
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Hey, there, kahilil88 - my machine is a 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with a 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM... I'm not much of a techie; what do you think?

The thing I like about iLife 09 is that it provides a built in FTP publisher, instead of having to buy yet another FTP program... unless someone knows a good free one? I'm looking to have to buy Fetch Softworks (recommended by my hosting provider. Since I've already bought the upgrades, I guess I should use them.

My other question concerns backing up files - if I do a Leopard upgrade, do I need to worry about backing up my data?

m

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Author David Pogue advised many years ago on backing up there are only two types of computer users ~ they who have lost everything and those who are about to.

Yep backup, backup, backup, whatever system you use. Best way is with an external driv e connected to your G5 by Firewire as PPC's machines generally cannot boot from an external drive via USB, even USB 2.

Best way IMHO is with SuperDuper. the registered version takes about 15 minutes to do a complete system backup with Smart Backup.

Leopard will run just fine. it is fast and rock steady.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro A1297 2.3 GHz i7 4GB DDR-1333
    Quote Originally Posted by marsoup View Post
    my machine is a 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with a 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM... I'm not much of a techie; what do you think?

The thing I like about iLife 09 is that it provides a built in FTP publisher, instead of having to buy yet another FTP program... unless someone knows a good free one? I'm looking to have to buy Fetch Softworks (recommended by my hosting provider. Since I've already bought the upgrades, I guess I should use them.

My other question concerns backing up files - if I do a Leopard upgrade, do I need to worry about backing up my data?
    Your machine should have no problem running Leopard. The G5 systems were as good as Macs got before Apple switched to Intel CPUs.

I don't know anything about the iLife FTP program, but there are many free ones (Cyberduck is a good one).

I've never backed up data before upgrading. It's not very likely any problem will occur, unless it's a stormy day and there's a power surge, or the disc is horribly scratched and scuffed. Then again, backing up is still good practice since data loss is always sudden and unexpected.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Thanks all - I'm doing backups now and plunging ahead! Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply! :-)

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Once you get used to Leopard, there's no way you can go back to Tiger.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Once you get used to Leopard, there's no way you can go back to Tiger.
    Why would one want to? Leopard is fast and rock steady.

Thread Information