New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Finder crashes on MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sicxie

Sicxie is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook pro which is 2 years old and now I am having my first problems with it.

The mac has gone way slower on start-up just a few days ago. If I try to open files, folders or programs the finder crashes (the spinning cursor appears and wont stop). I cant reopen the finder after this happens. Some files I was able to open, but none of the programs such as disk management etc. I cant even get to the "extra software" folder in the programs folder (what ever it is in english) before the finder crashes. For example Safari works quite well, but it also crashes after a while, if I try opening some files or folders.

Busted hard drive maybe?

Any solutions I could try?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It could be a sign of the drive going out. How much free space do you still have?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sicxie

Around 10 GB

Funny in a way... I just paid the last bill from the leasing contract I had, and now the mac goes busted. The leasing contract had an insurance for such problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It still could be a drive on it's way out, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Am assuming your drive is at least 120GB or larger. Having less than 10% free space could be causing the issue.

I would suggest backing up the drive if you haven't done so, and then take a look at what you can get rid of to get the free space back up to around 20% of the drive size.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sicxie

Ok, I will try to do that. It is a 160GB drive I remember correct.
QUOTE Thanks
Sicxie

More weird issues..

The mac wont recognize any of my external hard drives or any other mass media devices, usb sticks and so on.

o.o

.... restarted and now it works again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Application Switcher? | Virtual MEM swallows Disk Space »