New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - OSX Hard drive Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sidewinder9

sidewinder9 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I bought up a b&w G3 the other day, i don't know much about macs and this is the first time i have used one.

I'm having a few problems and any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first time i ran the mac is loaded OS9 which worked perfectly and i could clearly see 3 hard disks avaliable.
I then changed the startup disk to one with OSX 10.3.9 on it. After restarting it just turned to a black screen after the chime and did nothing. I kept reseting it and it just randomly loaded OSX.

My problem is that on OSX i cannot see the other 2 HD's. I have looked in disk utility and they still cant be found....
I've checked all the connections and they are all ok, it sounds as if the hard disks are spinning aswell.
Its very weird that they can be found on OS9 but not OSX.

Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
sidewinder9

sidewinder9 is on a distinguished road

Dont worry guys and girls, my G3 wont even turn on now
I was putting a different power supply in and i accidentally flipped the red voltage switch and it went POP very loudly and smoke came out.

fail
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder9 View Post
Dont worry guys and girls, my G3 wont even turn on now
I was putting a different power supply in and i accidentally flipped the red voltage switch and it went POP very loudly and smoke came out.

fail
As the Surgeon General said: "Smoking can be hazardous to your health".

Looks like you may have blown an electro cap in the power supply or power chain. Might be a good idea to check all the caps - after replacing the power supply again. If you're lucky, the rest of the machine might be OK.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual MEM swallows Disk Space | Background can't be changed »