New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - message 'Unable to install OSX on this computer'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christianhough

christianhough is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.8 8GB & MacBook Pro Dual 2.4

I have a MacbookPro 15" 2.4ghz 200gb etc.

I bought it second hand last year and have been using it okay. It came pre-installed and still had some of the previous owners permissions on etc, which wouldn't give me permission to update the software.

For some reason, it used to hang... the mouse wouldn't respond, until you shut the lit and reopened it. Then the laptop awoke and all was well for a short while. It also 'had' a windows partition.

I decided to format the drive and re-install OSX with the disk provided. This would help me maximise the disk space.

Now I get the message 'Unable to install OSX on this computer'. I've used the disk utility and formatted the HDD, created a new partition etc but nothing helps. I've even tried using the disks for my MacPro desktop to no avail.

This is pretty distressing, as I need my laptop at the weekend for my work (I'm a photographer and shoot tethered).

Can somebody help me get his resolved???

Cheers
Christian
Christian Hough - Photographer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like you're using the gray restore discs, but they aren't the ones that originally came with the machine. Unfortunately, those discs are model-specific. If that's the case, you may have to spring for a retail copy of Leopard.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
christianhough

christianhough is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.8 8GB & MacBook Pro Dual 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Sounds like you're using the gray restore discs, but they aren't the ones that originally came with the machine. Unfortunately, those discs are model-specific. If that's the case, you may have to spring for a retail copy of Leopard.
Depressing news... but thanks!

Christian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Application windows fade in and out on Mac OS X like on Vista | No Installation option »