New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard cannot download some files or do Software Update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shinmaikeru

shinmaikeru is on a distinguished road

I have done some testing before posting, so let me set this up:
2006 MacBookPro: originally came with Tiger, now updated to Leopard; my work machine
2009 MacBook: just purchased and not yet used; intended for the assistant to the president of the college... needs to work as promised

When I first got 2006 MacBookPro, it downloaded files just fine, and the Software Update worked flawlessly. After I upgraded (full reinstall) to Leopard, Software Update would time out often, and about half of the downloads I tried to do would start appropriately and then just stop about 10"% in and time out, ... but only at work. When I brought the machine home, I could update it just fine on my home LAN.

Eventually, I bought and installed Parallels, and when I could not download on Leopard, I would boot up my WindowsXP VM and I download without problems the very same file from the very same link with no problem on the work network, so at work I use my XP VM to download things like the Mac OS X updates and new versions of iTunes, etc.

2009 MacBook just arrived, so it is fresh and clean, and it does not have anything installed on it. I opened the box at work, plugged it in, did the setup thing with the soundtrack playing, and then tried to do Software Update, and it timed out. I tried to download Firefox, and it timed out. So I just brought it home with me today, and I was able to do Software Update and download Firefox with no trouble at all.

I don't think it is just the network at work because we have about about:
- 30 Panther 10.3 Macs
- 30 Tiger 10.4 Macs
- 80 WindowsXP machines
- 4 Windows XP VMs (on Parallels running on Leopard)
- 4 Leopard Macs

Only the Leopard Macs are having problems, and they only have problems at work. When I or the owner brings them home, the Software Update and downloading go just fine.

I have asked this as a question on experts-exchange.com, and I posted it at macosxhints.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to manage different accounts | How to connect database in odbc administrator »