New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Can I delete my previous systems?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pooka prince

pooka prince is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac book. Very sleek.

So my mac books almost full and I havent been able to do a system update for ages. Its finally starting to lag. I donwloaded disc inventory x and It pin pointed 18.3gb on my previous systems. I really dont want to start sorting through my mp3's deciding which I do an dont need. Can I just delete my previous systems with no consequences? Please write back

"I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals, who remember the good old days when entertainment was bland and innofensive."
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

By "previous systems" do you mean that you have performed "archive installs" and have backups of the old system folders? If this is the case, they should be safe to delete, but double-check to make sure there isn't any important user data.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
pooka prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlil88 View Post
By "previous systems" do you mean that you have performed "archive installs" and have backups of the old system folders? If this is the case, they should be safe to delete, but double-check to make sure there isn't any important user data.
Im drawing a blank. I don't think I've made any archive installs. I don't know how to back up either. The only concept of back up I understand is putting copies of files on my desktop. The previous systems is listed among users, library, system, application etc. if that makes the previous systems I'm talking about more clear.

"I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals, who remember the good old days when entertainment was bland and innofensive."
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As a word of advice, copying to the desktop is not backing up. Backing up refers to putting copies of your folders/files on other media independent of your HD. So, for example, a flash drive, an external HD or through an online backup service.

Have you reinstalled OS X at any point? One of the options during a reinstall is to archive the old install and reinstall OS X with the old files appearing on your new install so you can still use the files.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pooka prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
As a word of advice, copying to the desktop is not backing up. Backing up refers to putting copies of your folders/files on other media independent of your HD. So, for example, a flash drive, an external HD or through an online backup service.

Have you reinstalled OS X at any point? One of the options during a reinstall is to archive the old install and reinstall OS X with the old files appearing on your new install so you can still use the files.
The desktop Im talking about is independent of this mac but all I've ever put on it is MP3's etc. I dont recall ever reinstalling my mac. It was taken into the shop for a problem with the battery once. I told them I had no back up so I'm quite sure they made one.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If it is indeed a backup, which may very well be the case, it is up to you whether you want to delete it. Some questions you may want to ask yourself include "how long have those backups been there?" and "when was the last time I accessed them to retrieve something?". If the answer is a long time for both, you can probably delete them. To be safe though (or paranoid like me), it can't hurt to move them somewhere else such as an external HD.

Independent desktop? Do you mean another Mac?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pooka prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If it is indeed a backup, which may very well be the case, it is up to you whether you want to delete it. Some questions you may want to ask yourself include "how long have those backups been there?" and "when was the last time I accessed them to retrieve something?". If the answer is a long time for both, you can probably delete them. To be safe though (or paranoid like me), it can't hurt to move them somewhere else such as an external HD.

Independent desktop? Do you mean another Mac?
No its a dell running windows which I imagine is a no go. I dont think I've ever used the back up. Im pretty content with the macbook as it is now. To be honest I just dont want to delete something and watch my computer crash or all my mp3's to disappear.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble restarting, lost my icons! | Dock somtimes disappears but comes back »