New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - USB Kernel Panic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joe_Dunbar

Joe_Dunbar is on a distinguished road

I am having issues plugging in USB devices to my macbook. I recently jailbroke my iphone & loaded some type of USB kernel to bypass the problem I ran into with my macbook where my mac wouldn't recognize my iphone in DFU mode. But now I can't seem to plug any type of USB device into my macbook without setting off the USB kernel panic. Is there anyone I can just like download an updated kernel or something like that? Well I'm pretty proficient on a mac I'm not Super familiar with this. Any help please?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do you have a Time Machine backup or another backup you can restore? Without a backup to restore files that were probably altered when you messed with the USB system, the only way I know how to get back to square one is to do a reinstall.

Boot with your original install media and select archive and install. You'll retain all your settings and applications in a separate folder. The operating system will be reinstalled. Afterward, USB should return to normal.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Just bringing this back.

This same thing happened to me. I went through my dumb phase and just completely messed up. i did the same thing as the OP, but I didn't stop there. I did it multiple times. So now, I can't plug my camera, card reader, phone, or flashdrive in my USB port.

I can sort of understand the answer, but maybe someone could get me in a little deeper with some good info as to explain how to do this. I do have Time Machine, going way back (in the last backup iTunes 7.5 is in there).

How could I restore my system without losing all my music, photos and applications?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
How could I restore my system without losing all my music, photos and applications?
Archive and Install. It will preserve your profile while installing a brand new clean system on you Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Archive and Install. It will preserve your profile while installing a brand new clean system on you Mac.
Thanks, I'm going to try that today.

QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

If you have an apple developer login you can get the USB IO Kit install and it will over write the USB bus driver back to default. I too tried jailbreaking my iPod touch in such a manner and I was getting the occasional kernal panic when I was using my Line 6 KB37. I figured out it was due to the deviant USB IO Kit, I went to the apple site, downloaded the new one and it fixed the issue I had. They are machine specific so watch which one you download!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJenkins1187 View Post
If you have an apple developer login you can get the USB IO Kit install and it will over write the USB bus driver back to default. I too tried jailbreaking my iPod touch in such a manner and I was getting the occasional kernal panic when I was using my Line 6 KB37. I figured out it was due to the deviant USB IO Kit, I went to the apple site, downloaded the new one and it fixed the issue I had. They are machine specific so watch which one you download!
I may try that first before I start re-installing everything. Thanks for the info!

**FIX**

Thanks Erik! That worked well! I can plug in my USB devices now without kernel panics!

For those looking for a fix as well with 10.5.6, make a free ADC Member login (I already have that) and go to Downloads>>Mac OS X and find the IOUSBFamily Log release for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55 link to download.

(A restart is required after DL)

QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

No problem man! I am getting Apple Certified right now so I found that tasty nugget of info deep in the bowels of the developer site, glad it helped you out! Avoid archive and install as a last resort IMO, while it will most likely fix the issue, you can dig around and find what you need on the developer connection 9 times out of 10!
QUOTE Thanks
JahAiden67

JahAiden67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJenkins1187 View Post

hey im having the same problem too. where exactly do you find the USB IO Kit? im having a hard time searching for it. >_<
QUOTE Thanks
JahAiden67

JahAiden67 is on a distinguished road

nvm i found it. thanks though!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahAiden67 View Post
nvm i found it. thanks though!
Great!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accidentally deleted /bin/sh | Problems after apple update. »