New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - wait for snow leopard or get Imac now


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
czarthp

 
Member Since: Nov 03, 2007
Posts: 70
czarthp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa

czarthp is offline
I don't know if I should wait to get snow leopard or get an Imac now since they just been upgraded. I know they said snow wouldn't have a bunch of new features, so what makes it worth $129 if I get the Imac now and snow leopard later? I need some opinions to help me decide. The Imac will mostly be used for audio work, Logic and M-powered pro tools.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

 
harryb2448's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2007
Location: Nambucca Heads Australia
Posts: 16,922
harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

harryb2448 is offline
If you do not urgently and desperately need it now wait for the release of the new operating system. A buck saved is a buck earned you know!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
For what it is you want to do, if you need the machine now, I'd get it now.

I read about a lot of issues with many of the high end audio tools when Leopard came out and took a lot of the developers some time to get everything compatible. At this point, who knows if this will be the case with Snow Leopard. But, if this is your business, I wouldn't be upgrading to SL until you know everything will work. Let others be the guinea pig for it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkY

 
MarkY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 06, 2008
Posts: 79
MarkY will become famous soon enough

MarkY is offline
Who said Snow Leopard is going to be $129?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
$129 is the typical price for a new OS from Apple and if you assume this will be your cost at a later time, you should be safe. There is a lot of speculation that it could be less. At this point, no one knows.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
I also wouldn't hold your breath for Snow Leopard. Apple took their sweet time releasing Leopard. It was supposed to have been released close to 8 months before it actually was - and that was with an Apple-supplied timeline.

Apple really hasn't said squat about a potential release date for SL, so my guess is it's not going to be anytime soon.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Installing Tiger | attachments files are saved automatically to Desktop »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Need to know how much RAM your Mac can hold? iLaugh Other Hardware and Peripherals 6 12-13-2009 01:49 PM
iMac; buy now or wait for the rumoured new ones? BenBateman Apple Desktops 14 08-01-2007 10:16 AM
Buy now or wait for Leopard kris182 Switcher Hangout 19 07-16-2007 10:24 AM
iMac Upgrade be4 Leopard? elbolao23 Apple Rumors and Reports 3 06-19-2007 11:32 AM
Tiger now or wait for Leopard? Pigchops OS X - Operating System 2 02-04-2007 05:36 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?