New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Webpages not rendering correctly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mkorn92

mkorn92 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've read around on this forum alot in the past and decided to get a macbook a little over a year ago. I have a 3,1 Macbook (2GHz Intel C2D, upgraded to 2.5GB of RAM and 250gb harddrive).

I had everything running fine for over a year with no problems but I decided to reinstall everything just to clean out some stuff (yes I did use Onyx if anybody asks why didn't I just use something like that). When I reinstalled OS X I had some issues rendering website across many browsers (Firefox 3, Safari, Camino) with mainly Facebook but also a few others. I searched around some finding different things and trying them out. I updated to the newest version of Java (and also checked to make sure it was enabled in Firefox many times) and reinstalled Xcode. I also tried the Xcode tools from Apple's Developer Connection but none of these things worked.

So I reinstalled OS X from scratch again and it was rendering everything normally, then I let it install the updates and afterwards it didn't work again. That led me to believe it had to do with the software update somehow.

After that I reinstalled everything from scratch again and waited to install the updates. I choose to start with GarageBand Update (4.1.1) and AirPort Utility (5.3.2) thinking neither of those would really impact it. After doing this it did not render properly once again.

Finally I reinstalled again from scratch and this time again, it does not work before I have even installed any updates, so at the moment I am updating some things (Combined update at the moment) just to see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else had a problem like this or know what might be causing it? I'm unsure whether this even has anything to do with Java or not either. I have googled and googled and haven't found any solution and the problem seems to be completely random.

Each time I installed, it was from scratch, meaning I choose to erase the harddrive and do a new installation (not upgrade) with the discs that come with the macbook. I attached a picture of what Facebook looked like incase you didn't understand what I meant by not rendering correctly. Everything else seems to work normally, just the "rendering" of some webpages. Hopefully this is just something little that I missed somewhere...

Thanks!

Picture 1.png
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Opera can do that with any web page. In Opera, it''s called Author Mode. Now I don't have a clue what that means. I know it has to do with the CSS Style Sheets, and that it is the developer's (the site author's) view and that's about it. I'm no web guy.

Try Opera and turn on the View Bar to check it out. You can switch between Author Mode and User Mode which will change the Style Sheet being used. You can even create your own style sheets (which I've never done).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mkorn92

Ok I'll give that a try. I think it's kind of strange that it worked before I reinstalled everything though but then again I don't really know much in that area...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mkorn92

Yeah, that doesn't work either. It says Javascript is disabled on my browser but in the preferences it is turned on and the newest version of Java was downloaded in the updates.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In Safari, when it is displaying a page in Author mode - while you're on that page, open up Preferences - Advanced and what is in the box labeled 'Style sheet'?

QUOTE Thanks
mkorn92

It says "none selected" and the only other option is "other" which takes you to browse through your files.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Don't have a clue. That's the extent of my knowledge about CSS.

QUOTE Thanks
mkorn92

Hmm...well thanks for trying. I'll mess around some more and see if I can get it to work. I've had a couple of other ideas but I doubt they will help any...
QUOTE Thanks
deer dance

deer dance has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Soon to own

The internet doesn't give a poop what you do outside of the web browser, reinstall the browsers and things should clear up.

Proud Python Programmer/HTML Expert
Believer in Mac OS 7
QUOTE Thanks
mkorn92

Yes I have tried reinstalling them many times. I just reinstalled OS X again hoping it would fix it and here's what happened. The Facebook login page works correctly but not once I'm logged in, and it only works in Safari. Youtube does not work correctly either. Very strange and random...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a read receipt in the mail.. | Finally installed my pile of updates and I've been... »