New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - How do I fix partitions Mac doesn't see?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryankhart

ryankhart is an unknown at this point

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else on some forum but this is a very difficult problem to figure out keywords to search for.

I recently tried dual-booting my Macbook with Linux. My installation choice on the Linux side was not one single partition. It was to have a separate partition for root, /home, and swap. I designated the majority of my hard drive toward Boot Camp.

Well, after I decided to switch back to Mac and go without Linux at all, I noticed after I did a fresh, clean install of OS X, it only says that my hard drive is as big as I set the Mac partition to be when I had Boot Camp setup. (only around 30 GB of space)

I presume I'm going to have to use a linux-base solution to get me out of this Linux-induced problem. Something like GParted maybe? Any instruction? I'm a college student, so I need this fixed as soon as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankhart View Post
I presume I'm going to have to use a linux-base solution to get me out of this Linux-induced problem. Something like GParted maybe? Any instruction? I'm a college student, so I need this fixed as soon as possible.
Run the bootcamp setup assistant again and select the option to return the the drive to a singe volume.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
ryankhart

Ya, I forgot to mention that I tried that already.It gives me this:

Quote:
The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Boot Camp Assistant will not restore 3 partitions that were not setup for Windows. Your initial error was to create Linux Home, Data, and Swap partitions. Not really needed anyway. Linux works fine using one partition.

Anyway too late for that. If you use GParted, there's a chance you won't recover the space for OS X. GParted will certainly be able to merge the three Linux partitions to one as unformatted space.

One way is to boot the machine with your original install media and run Disk Utility. However that means erasing and reinstalling. So if you decide to do that, use the archive and install method.

The other solution is to purchase "iPartition" ($49.95) and non destructively merge everything back to OS X. No reinstall required. Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your initial error was to create Linux Home, Data, and Swap partitions. Not really needed anyway. Linux works fine using one partition.
... unless you run out of memory, in which case the lack of a swap partition will crash the computer.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
... unless you run out of memory, in which case the lack of a swap partition will crash the computer.
I've run everything from Ubuntu to "you name it" in Linux, never used a swap partition, and never ran out of memory. Linux handles virtual memory almost as well as OS X. It is a Unix derivative.

Modern Linux versions do not need a swap partition. And the "Home" partition is just a matter of convenience. Also not needed.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ryankhart

Wow, thanks guys. I didn't know that the swap wasn't necessary, especially when I have 4 GB of RAM. I made a separate /home partition so that in the future I can upgrade/switch distros without touching my data. But after realizing how poorly (so far) Ubuntu working with the aluminum macbook's trackpad and graphics card, I decided to switch back to only Mac.

Anyway, so I tried GParted and it says it found no bootable devices, and I have no idea what to type in.

I'll try the booting from the OSX install disc and use the disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
ryankhart

Hey it worked! All I needed to do was boot from the Mac OS X install disc open up disk utility from the menu bar and erase/format my whole drive.

(funny thing cuz I tried to erase the other three partitions and not my Mac one. But it didn't want to erase the swap partition by itself)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« attachments files are saved automatically to Desktop | highlight boxes and it appears I'm logged in twice »