New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Imac turns off when i plug in a flash drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elor12

elor12 is on a distinguished road

hey i have a really annoying problem that i think started around a week ago. every time i plug and kind of USB flash drive the mac osx 10.5.6 gives me the "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button for several second or press the restart button" message. i talked to apple and they told me to restart my PRAM and NVRAM which i did and did not help me at all.
i really need a solution please please help me

i dont have warranty on it, it only happens with flash drives. my ipod makes no problems to me at all when connecting it via a USB port
QUOTE Thanks
kisuke3

kisuke3 is on a distinguished road

seems like your getting a kernel panic and from the looks of it its most likely a logic board problem.. Make sure you do these steps:
1. reset pram(option+command+R+P) while restarting.
2. wait for the 3rd chime
3. after hearing the 3rd chime immediately press shift(safe mode)
4. repair permissions while on safe mode. Then try inserting a usb device
5. alternatively you can try to repair disk and permissions by booting from the OS X cd by pressing C while restarting your machine.

Worst comes to worst you need to bring it in for repair and i hate to say it buddy you need to pay for it.
QUOTE Thanks
elor12

elor12 is on a distinguished road

thanks alot ill try to do this but the thing is that my ipod works completely fine so i dont think it is a problem with the hardware..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PC user with question about mac remote desktop | Unhide Application »