New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - internet sharing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Killaz045

Killaz045 is on a distinguished road

how can i get internet from my windows to my powerbook via ethernet.. the
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaz045 View Post
how can i get internet from my windows to my powerbook via ethernet.. the
From the way it sounds, you've got your windows box connected directly to the internet, and the powerbook is connected to it via ethernet?

If this is correct, it should be fairly easy..

On the windows box, right click on the port that connects to the internet (whether it be a secondary ethernet port, or usb access to a cable/dsl modem or regular modem, etc.) and in the advanced tab select allow others to connect through this computers internet connection.

On the mac, just set the XP box as your default gw and nameserver (sometimes the name server part doesn't work well, and if that's the case, just set it to your external name server, which you can findout if you open a command prompt, type ipconfig -all and look at the DNS settings for the interface that connects to the net (assuming it's already connected as you may have that information assigned to you dynamically)).

then, you should be able to access the internet from your mac through your PC.

Usually when you setup ICS on XP, it will do DHCP assignment, but there is no reason you can't set a static set of IP addresses.

If you're looking to go the other direction (mac hooked to internet and allowing the windows box to have access through the mac) I have no idea how to do that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I backup DMG file to external drive? | .Log file keeps reapearing on desktop »