New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - unable to delete files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Imacer

Imacer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5, 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB hard drive, OS X 10.4.11

Hi trusted advisors; I am having a problem deleting files, especially in folders. If I "move to trash" a folder it's contents are not deleted, just the folder icon. This is especially prevalent in my USB flash drives where deleting a folder does not delete contents, nothing is visible on the screen when looking at the drive but after deleting a folder my available memory does not increase. The files are still occupying space but are invisible. I can clean the drive with disc utility or have to open the folder to pre delete the files, but that seems a bit ridiculous just to delete a folders contents. I keep thinking there must be an easy way to do this. Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You must empty the trash to gain your space back - even on flash drives.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

Imacer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5, 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB hard drive, OS X 10.4.11

That's got it, my flash drive doesn't show a trash folder but it's there. Do you know how I can get it to show on the contents window?
Thanks, bobtomay.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not really sure how it exactly works. Don't think it's possible to browse the flash drive and see what has been moved to the trash. That will have to be done via the Trash Can.

It's just different than Windows where you would have the Recycle Bin listed in every drive. On the Mac there is a single Trash Can that has the data info for all drives.

Some programs will delete and free the space, ex. Aperture. But, if you're using Finder to delete, they're all in the Trash Can sitting in the dock.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Difference between Macintosh HD and Places | Crash Reporter window when starting up MacBook »