New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help with installing OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meredith

I have a G3 Tower with a 4.25 GB SCSI HD.

I was running OS 9.2 and tried to install OS X.2

I wanted a fresh start, so I backed up my important info, booted up from the System Software disk, and initialized my hard drive with OS Extended format.

I then chose to install OS X.2, and waited while the installation began. When the process got close to the end, my machine froze. I tried restarting and installing again, and the same thing happened, each time I reinitialized the drive.

After about 3 hours of frustration, I decided to try installing OS 9.2.1 from the disk. About 3 minutes into the installation I got this error Encountered a problem with "Big System Morsels" file, installation cannot continue.

Help! I don't know what to do....any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Meredith
QUOTE Thanks
meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith
I have a G3 Tower with a 4.25 GB SCSI HD.

I was running OS 9.2 and tried to install OS X.2

I wanted a fresh start, so I backed up my important info, booted up from the System Software disk, and initialized my hard drive with OS Extended format.

I then chose to install OS X.2, and waited while the installation began. When the process got close to the end, my machine froze. I tried restarting and installing again, and the same thing happened, each time I reinitialized the drive.

After about 3 hours of frustration, I decided to try installing OS 9.2.1 from the disk. About 3 minutes into the installation I got this error Encountered a problem with "Big System Morsels" file, installation cannot continue.

Help! I don't know what to do....any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Meredith
Ok, for some reason, the software installed without freezing, and I got a successful installation message and my computer rebooted. Problem. Without the CD with the OS in the drive, my computer won't start up. Blinking question mark. I think the computer can't start up because it thinks the CD drive is the start up drive?! Any ideas on how to designate the start up disk? I looked everywhere in the disk utility on the OSX install disk, but can't find it. I tried putting in the OS 9.2.1 disk and have to reformat to choose the startup. AAAHHH!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

System Preferences>>Start up disk

QUOTE Thanks
meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
System Preferences>>Start up disk
I can't even get to the hard drive now without the disk. So I can't get to the System Preferences.

I reinstalled OS 9.2.1 then OSX.
Opened drive set up, selected the OSX system folder, restarted and the computer gray screens, runs code across the top, then restarts over and over.

Any ideas? Could this be a firmware issue with my HD?
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

possibly.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Burning Question | Prefs Router Setting for 2nd card for shared internet »