New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Brand new HD not recgnsed in startup.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

manni_mac

manni_mac is on a distinguished road

Hello Guys ! ..
I had this "folder with question mark sign" . I was told HD died.
So bought a new one and used the installation disk .Sytem showed the blue screen and when i went in...it doesnt recognise the new HD ! which i had jsut put in. I checked health of HD sperately, it is all fine.
I connectd the new HD to USB via connector and used the installtion disk . This time it was recognised by macbook and i proceded to format , partition and installed new OS X . If i remove the instalation disk and keep the HD coonected to USB ,system boots fine as noraml mac .
Now , when i m putting this same HD back into the back of laptop case , where it belongs , system again fails to boot ! I put the installtion disk , system boots but doesnot show the HD again !!!

Any help guys !! Thx in advance ...
May be the previous disk was not bad at all
QUOTE Thanks
manni_mac

Hello Guys ! ..
I had this "folder with question mark sign" . I was told HD died.
So bought a new one and used the installation disk .Sytem showed the blue screen and when i went in...it doesnt recognise the new HD ! which i had jsut put in. I checked health of HD sperately, it is all fine.
I connectd the new HD to USB via connector and used the installtion disk . This time it was recognised by macbook and i proceded to format , partition and installed new OS X . If i remove the instalation disk and keep the HD coonected to USB ,system boots fine as noraml mac .
Now , when i m putting this same HD back into the back of laptop case , where it belongs , system again fails to boot ! I put the installtion disk , system boots but doesnot show the HD again !!!

Any help guys !! Thx in advance ...
May be the previous disk was not bad at all
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Sounds like maybe the new HD is not seated properly in the laptop. I know when I put a new HD in my Macbook, the first time around I did not get it seated quite right and had the same issue you are having. Taking it out and making sure it "clicked" in did the trick. Maybe it will work for you?

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
manni_mac

Thx Mary !
I wuld try doing tht again .. But what i remeber, i did hear the "click" first time when doing it and it seated properly there ...
Well ... i wuld try that again.. will do watever possible to avoid going to apple store !
QUOTE Thanks
manni_mac

now when i tried starting in safe mode , i got a kernel error " Update driver missing : API" .. I got the recent "combo" update from apple site and installed in a external hard drive ... I connected the external HD to mac and tried installing in system.. but again,,,since internal HDD is not yet recognized cant install the update in system!!
any help guys !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashing world map when reboot | Network home folder not recognised »