New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - OS X stuck on grey screen and circle

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darkbasic

darkbasic is on a distinguished road

When I try to load back into OS X from windows the computer chimes, the grey screen appears, then the apple logo, then the rotating circle underneath the aplpe logo. It sits at the rotating circle stage for a few minutes then restarts again. If I leave it it will just keep sitting at the circle and rebooting.

The steps I have taken to try and fix this are:
1. Clear PRAM by holding CMD+OPT+P+R
2. Resetting the SMC by removing all peripherals, battery and AC adapter then holding the power button for five seconds.
3. Booting into safe mode to delete bootcache.kext - I can't boot into safe mode, when I hold shift after I hear the chime nothing happens differently, it just takes longer for the rotating circle to appear.

I recently installed MacDrive in Windows and deleted files in my OS X partition, these files were not system files, just a game I had downloaded.

Also, I can't boot from the OS X CD because I'm at school and like a dummy I forgot to bring it.

Any ideas?
darkbasic is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Without your original install Leopard DVD you can't do much trouble shooting. I suggest you send for it as soon as you can or buy another. From your description, it could be file corruption, missing files, or even bad sectors on the hard drive. If the machine will boot to Windows OK and run Windows normally, then at least you know the machine is OK. (maybe with the exception of the HDD)

Also, I don't understand why you had to use MacDrive from Windows to remove a game from your OS X partition? Why not remove it when running OS X?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
momsazombie

momsazombie is on a distinguished road

I have this problem too but on a mac mini. I deleted the installer plist file because I was having trouble with installing the Leopard update (it said I didn't have privileges) and after that I got this problem....

HELP!!!! I have no discs because I bought the machine only for cheap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone Closeby? | customizing menu bar icons »