New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - can OS X Leopard be installed twice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbsarn

jbsarn is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Recently I purchased a macbook pro which came with osx leopard and i-life 09. I also have a PPC G5 (late 04) which runs off tiger (10.4.11).

Am i able to install the grey dvd (Leopard) which came with the macbook pro into my G5? I put the disk in and it came up ready to install, but to restart first etc. that's when i ejected, getting paranoid something would screw up.

Any help, much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

The grey install disks are machine specific and only work on the machine they came with. If you buy the full retail version of Leopard, the disk is black, it can be used on any machine that is faster than the G4 867 level. Yes you can install it more than once on you own personal machines.
QUOTE Thanks
jbsarn

jbsarn is on a distinguished road

thanks chilbear.

sounds reasonable to me. By that logic, If i purchased the retail version of Leopard, would I then be able to just use the i-life09 that came with the macbook pro?? rather than buying that as well? (the i-life disk doesn't look as machine specific).

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
Yes you can install it more than once on you own personal machines.
That is incorrect. A single license can only be installed on a single machine at a time. This also goes for iLife, you can't install it on your older machine if it's still installed on your new one.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Only legal way around that is to purchase the Family Pack of Leopard and of iLife 09. That can be installed on up to 5 machines in the same household.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When I start up my laptop, a flashing question mark in a floder appears. | New Aluminium Macbook logs out after a while »