New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Trouble with OS X update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bhcoker

bhcoker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch

First, I am a brand new Mac user (one day so far) with a new 24" iMac so please be patient because I have been a PC user for the past 15 years.

I went to install the iLife 09 upgrade that came with my Mac and it states that I needed to update OS X... so I ran the software update and it installed 6 different updates. When it got to the OS X update it said that I had to restart the computer to finish...it went to a blue screen for a brief moment and then came back on and said something like configuring software. It showed progress for just a small fraction of the bar and it stopped...I waited for thirty min. and it didnt move. I had to turn the computer off and it came back on like usual. I have tried this two other times with the same results.

Is this a common problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Heath+
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What update is it getting stuck on? Perhaps you can install the update w/o software update (downloading the package manually).
QUOTE Thanks
bhcoker

Mac Specs: 24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch

It is getting stuck on the 668 MB 10.5.6 update.

I went to the apple web page/downloads and found two different 10.5.6 updates: the 668 MB and a 372 MB...they both are described as the same, but the smaller one says staff pick, so I am downloading that one now and will try it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

They're are different.

What version of OS X are you running right now? If you are running anything pre 10.5.5, you need the 668 MB combo update. If you are running 10.5.5, you can run the smaller 372MB update.
QUOTE Thanks
bhcoker

ok, I checked and it is 10.5.4. I will download the larger one and try that.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yeah, if you have 10.5.4, you need the larger combo update. The combo update is a kind of "all previous versions update" while the smaller update is more of a "update previous version only" update.
QUOTE Thanks
bhcoker

is there a difference between downloading it from apple, and using "software update" from the menu bar/dock or whatever it is called (still learning the nomenclature)?
QUOTE Thanks
bhcoker

Alright that worked. Thanks vansmith for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new Mac with constant "beach ball" action | When I start up my laptop, a flashing question mark in a floder appears. »