New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Firewall problems causing iChat not to work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kylemusic

kylemusic is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have had my Macbook for about a month now, and currently am having some problems with my network and more specifically iChat. I am connecting wireless to the internet at home. Until about 3 days ago, everything was working fine. I could log into iChat with no problems. But now when I log in none of my buddies or anything show up. I thought that nobody was online, but I checked and there were people online. I learned through my school a little about networks and firewalls, so I decided to check a different wireless network that shows up on my computer to see if anything differs at all. And sure enough, everything works perfectly. I can also connect perfectly to iChat and everything on my schools wireless network, so there is something holding back iChat from my home network.

I did some searching around and found the 'firewall logs' menu and found something interesting. I clicked on "allow only essential services", and "enable firewall logging is checked". In the log I see several of these messages:

"Feb 21 11:57:03 Buchanan-Kyle Firewall50: Deny iChat data in from 17.251.248.151:16388 uid = 0 proto=17"

Something is obviously blocking iChat data, and I am so confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I am using:
Macbook (white) Mac OS X (10.5.6)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Under System Preferences > Security > Firewall, try the following:

- As you have "Allow only essential services" selected, click the + box towards the bottom.
- Select iChat and click OK
- With iChat now in the list, make sure it is set to "Allow incoming connections"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dock and Mouse Behavior issues. | Lost »