New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Safari will not open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

longhorn725

longhorn725 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 Black MacBooks

I've searched google, deleted some plists or whatever and did some other options that google suggested...but Safari will not open! I do not like firefox and really want to get this fixed. Anyone ? Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

Davidk02 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac

If you can get on the internet, why not just go to the apple site and download it again? Apple - Downloads
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

I tried and nothing changed...
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

I might try deleting the old one first, and downloading it as new. If you've already done this too, I think we'll need more info to figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

Won't I lose all my bookmarks if I delete it? If I do delete it how do I do that just drag it into trash or do I need to delete it from trash as well? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

go to "~/Library/Safari/" (~ meaning home directory, user)
there is a file called Bookmarks.plist
those are your bookmarks, so you can back those up, but if you only drag the Safari.app package to the trash and EMPTY it you won't loose them anyway, but just to be sure

there might be somekind of an uninstaller for Safari, but I don't know about that ... delete your current Safari.app, download a new one from Apple as suggested above and see what happens
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

Ok that is basically what I did...my bookmarks are in the library but I click them and it brings up a weird textedit file. How do I import them to my new Safari?
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

I don't know how to import the bookmarks, but glad you were able to get Safari back up.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn725 View Post
Ok that is basically what I did...my bookmarks are in the library but I click them and it brings up a weird textedit file. How do I import them to my new Safari?
Go to File > Import Bookmarks...

That should allow you to import your old bookmarks. If that doesn't work for some reason, take that file and copy it over the new Bookmarks.plist.
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

I cannot seem to find my old bookmarks...the bookmarks under library show nothing there. This is so frustrating, is it possible safari deleted all my bookmarks? Any way I can set my computer back to how it was a week ago?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Were/are you using Time Machine? If so, you could "go back in time" to get your bookmarks.

It is unlikely that you deleted the bookmarks. "Throwing" out Safari will have only rid of the executable and not the associated files unless you used something like AppZapper or AppCleaner.
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

I don't have time machine set up I don't think. I can't find the bookmarks, I don't know where they could have gone? This is so frustrating I had so many! Ugh!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Earlier you said you found them:
Quote:
Is this referring to your old bookmarks or your new ones?
QUOTE Thanks
longhorn725

That was my old ones but now I cannot find the old ones, it only shows the new ones.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If the old ones were deleted, you might be SOL. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As a suggestion, I would suggest buying an external HD and setting it up with Time Machine. This way, you can go "back in time" and recover files.

Check here for more info. This is only useful if you are using Leopard though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restoring Local Preferences - Can I do that? | Hard Drive Capacity - 250 GB or 140 GB? »