New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Blue screen after 2009 Security update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brownkm52

brownkm52 is on a distinguished road

I got the dreaded blank blue screen after installing the lastest 2009 security update on my 2006 iMac (OS X 10.4). I tried following the hints given here for fixing this situation:

Tutorial: Startup fails (particularly after a system or security update); solving - MacFixIt

My iMac won't boot into Safe Mode. It will boot into Single-User mode, so I ran fsck and it says the HD is okay. I also deleted the caches and plist files, but that didn't help at all.

I can't boot from the OS X install disk - it just kicks the disk out of the drive every time. This may be the result of my 3-year old having stuffed business cards into the drive - I didn't realize this until I went to put the install disk in, and saw 3 cards sticking out. I pulled those out, but it's possible there are more cards still in the drive that I can't see.

Any other suggestions, short of taking the machine to the nearest Apple Store?

- Thanks, Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
Neon Knightz

Neon Knightz is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just downloaded the 2009 Security Update and then shut the unit down (PowerMac G4 400mhz with 1.25gb) Came home today, and it was sticking on the blue login screen.....oh dear, I thought MAC OSX was brilliant?

Obviously not, I can't get it to boot into safe mode (after 15 tries, I decided that was enough) I can access the Open OS section, but thats no good, and I attempted to access the single user mode with no success

I don't have a OS boot disc, due to the unit being second hand...seems like Im in a right rut
QUOTE Thanks
brownkm52

brownkm52 is on a distinguished road

Neon - I ended up taking mine to the Genius Bar... they could boot from an external USB drive, but repairing permissions from that didn't help... eventually they did an archive/re-install of OSX, which worked - all my files ended up in the "previous systems" directory, and I just had to copy them over to the new user.

That may be the route you have to take...

- Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
Neon Knightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkm52 View Post
Neon - I ended up taking mine to the Genius Bar... they could boot from an external USB drive, but repairing permissions from that didn't help... eventually they did an archive/re-install of OSX, which worked - all my files ended up in the "previous systems" directory, and I just had to copy them over to the new user.

That may be the route you have to take...

- Kevin
The Genius Bar is the tech section of the Apple Store? (Sorry Im not really a Mac person) and Do they even have them in England?

If I was to get a hold of a copy of Tiger OS X and insert the Disc (without logging in) would that work? would it automatically boot the disc?

Since my Local Apple store is some 40 miles away :S

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Neon Knightz

I managed to get into Single user mode and I ran FSCK, apparently the Macintosh HD is okay....so no problem there

Ran into verbose mode and it says it has a core utility error......no idea
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network home folder not recognised | Using extra storage question »