New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - keyboard remap issue in leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bowlesbe

bowlesbe is on a distinguished road

So I remapped my Control key to do Command function. I decided I want to go back again. AND IT WONT LET ME. Its stuck like this. And I won't change any of my other keyboard remappings anymore either. WHY!? THANKS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm assuming you tried rebooting the machine after restoring the keyboard back to normal? If you didn't, try that first. If you did, take a look here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

If you see a layout file in the directory "Keyboard Layouts", delete it. BUT first make a backup of the file to a safe place where you can find it in case you need to restore it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bowlesbe

Thanks so much for your help. I looked to see if there was a keyboard layout, there isnt.

Hmm, I wonder if this is connected to another issue. When the computer was given to me, it was registered as "Mac", but when I received it, I went into accounts and switched it to my name. So, for example, in Users, all I have is "Mac" and "Shared", but when I go into accounts, the admin, is actually benbowles. Could this be connected to the problem? Again, thank you so much

do you have any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bowlesbe

ps yes I did restore to defaults, then restarted, even treid turning it off once.
QUOTE Thanks
himmelstrutz

himmelstrutz is on a distinguished road

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem:

I originally remapped CTRL/control to make my transistion from Windows easier, and after a while I wanted to change back. I restored the default settings via the "keyboard/mouse" -> "special keys" panel (exact names might be wrong, I use Leopard in Swedish), but whenever I reboot the computer, the key mapping have reverted back and I have the CTRL and control keys shifted around.

The "special keys" panel shows the keys as being mapped to their original functions even when this isn't the case.

Bowlesbe - did you find a solution eventually? I don't have any files in "Keyboard layouts" directory either.

If anyone reading this has any suggestions, I'd be really glad for any help. I have a MacBook running the latest Leopard version.

Best regards,

/h.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I run a script after connecting to a network? | Dock icons dimming and windows hiding »