keyboard remap issue in leopard
    So I remapped my Control key to do Command function. I decided I want to go back again. AND IT WONT LET ME. Its stuck like this. And I won't change any of my other keyboard remappings anymore either. WHY!? THANKS

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I'm assuming you tried rebooting the machine after restoring the keyboard back to normal? If you didn't, try that first. If you did, take a look here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

If you see a layout file in the directory "Keyboard Layouts", delete it. BUT first make a backup of the file to a safe place where you can find it in case you need to restore it.

Thanks so much for your help. I looked to see if there was a keyboard layout, there isnt.

Hmm, I wonder if this is connected to another issue. When the computer was given to me, it was registered as "Mac", but when I received it, I went into accounts and switched it to my name. So, for example, in Users, all I have is "Mac" and "Shared", but when I go into accounts, the admin, is actually benbowles. Could this be connected to the problem? Again, thank you so much

do you have any other ideas?

ps yes I did restore to defaults, then restarted, even treid turning it off once.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem:

I originally remapped CTRL/control to make my transistion from Windows easier, and after a while I wanted to change back. I restored the default settings via the "keyboard/mouse" -> "special keys" panel (exact names might be wrong, I use Leopard in Swedish), but whenever I reboot the computer, the key mapping have reverted back and I have the CTRL and control keys shifted around.

The "special keys" panel shows the keys as being mapped to their original functions even when this isn't the case.

Bowlesbe - did you find a solution eventually? I don't have any files in "Keyboard layouts" directory either.

If anyone reading this has any suggestions, I'd be really glad for any help. I have a MacBook running the latest Leopard version.

Best regards,

Thread Information