New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Boot time when turning on imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

It seems that when I first bought my imac it would load OS X quicly -- maybe 15 seconds from turning on the machine to getting the desktop. Now I've noticed it takes longer -- up to half a minute, and that time from power on to desktop can vary sometimes.

I've also notices that the icons on the desktop and in the folders aren't (and I don't know the right work for this, so forgive me if it's not clear) fully or quickly 'displayed' -- for example, when I first click on the finder icon, if I click on the applications folder there's a lag -- I'll see a blank folder for a moment and then the application icons appear, with size of the applications being filled in one by one, down the list. I also have a Neoffice .xls file on the desktop, and after power on I notice the icon first has a green color to it, then changes to the standard white color icon.

Is there a problem here, or is it just that as I've added files, etc, that it's the normal consequence of more info on the machine? Is there any software out there that is the Mac equivalent of disk cleanup/defragment that can get my imac up and running as fast as possible? I don't know if I'm nitpicking, but it would be nice to give a tune up or something.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Open up a terminal window

type

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

this will run the cleanup scripts that normally run if you leave the machine on all the time. Also check your login items and see if you've got a bunch starting. Defrag is not needed in hfs+ unless you've used up the vast majority of your disk space.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelBamford

MichaelBamford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB

thanks Dysfunctional, ill try this when i get home later. My Macbook tends to take about 45 secs to boot, were a few month ago it only took about 29-32 secs, even tho i havent installed any apps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Finder Mini Icon Preview" Shows More Than "Actual Preview Application" | Office crashing the dock? Any quick-fixes. »