New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - All the writing on my mac has turned into the letter 'A'.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samjones23

samjones23 is on a distinguished road

All the writing on my mac has turned into the letter 'A'.

I can not read anything. Everything has turned into a letter A in a box.

What is this?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you mean when you type anything or all text on your screen is the letter A? If it's that, I guess you won't be able to read this response...

Have you d/l'ed anything you probably shouldn't have or d/l something from an untrustworthy site recently?

Is your keyboard broken (assuming the problem is typing text)?
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

no. when i type its ok. i can get online no problem too.

on my desktop icons the text as all turned into the letter 'A'.

also the bar at the top of the screen.

i havent deleted anything. ive tried restarting the mac but it just comes up the same
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You have not got a virus, sounds like a font conflict

Try downloading MainMenu and cleaning up the font caches, also try and deactivate any fonts you might not need (do step one first)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You have not got a virus, sounds like a font conflict

Try downloading MainMenu and cleaning up the font caches, also try and deactivate any fonts you might not need (do step one first)
Thanks. ive tried downloading it but my mac wont let me download anything now..

Its just saying checking for downloads.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Can you get to the Main Menu web site?

Santa Software | MainMenu
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Can you get to the Main Menu web site?

Santa Software | MainMenu
ive downloaded it and put it into my applications. it then asked me did i want to scan so i clicked yes then nothing happened. everytime i click on main menu in applications nothing happens
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

ok ive now got main menu. ive tried to clear the font cache but it didnt work
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Does it not appear in the menu bar hence the title Main Menu? You have to operate the utility from there. Have you tried cleaning font caches from there? The icon is a + sign within a rectangle.
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Does it not appear in the menu bar hence the title Main Menu? You have to operate the utility from there. Have you tried cleaning font caches from there? The icon is a + sign within a rectangle.
yes ive found it now. and ive tried cleaning the font cache. nothing happened.

my menu bar reads like this AAAAAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAAAAAA

as does everthing on my mac.

I have to guess what im clicking on
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

someone else with your issue. You might try what the one poster suggested. Let us know if it helps.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Wierd Font Issue! ...
QUOTE Thanks
samjones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
someone else with your issue. You might try what the one poster suggested. Let us know if it helps.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Wierd Font Issue! ...
it didnt work. any other suggestions???

its the same problem though
QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

Can you create a new user for your mac, the login to that name and see if you still have the issue? Just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
Meg

Meg is on a distinguished road

I have this exact same problem and it is getting really frustrating. My title bar it identical to yours. The tool bar and icon titles are AAAAA. I have found though that when i go into a folder on the desk top and change the way the contents is listed then I can see the document titles even though I can not see the name of the folder from the outside. However I can't read the title bar at all and when I go into view each heading the lists of options are all the same AAAAAAAAAAAAA

i will try all the suggestions here but they don't seem to have worked for you. I already have a second log in that I don't use and the same thing happens on that desktop too. Someone has suggested that I ditch everything I have and re-install my operating system, maybe that will work but it seems a bit drastic.

I hope someone out there knows what is going on.
meg
QUOTE Thanks
Meg

Meg is on a distinguished road

I have tried "safe boot" and that hasn't worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change the way files are opened | Remove Bluetooth/WLAN icons for ALL Network Users »