New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - iMac running Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spook

Spook is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac 24" on order to replace my knackered PC. I am a software developer and still need to be able to run Visual Studio, so will also be installing Windows XP. What I would like some feedback on is whether to:

(1) Dual boot into Windows
(2) Buy and install Parallels and then Windows etc...
(3) Buy and install VMWare Fusion and then ...

I am leaning towards Parallels, as; will give me the ability to carry on with e-mail etc while still running Windows in a window.

I would appreciate peoples advise on the matter, especially if you have experience of either or both virtual solutions.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

probably best to download the trials for both Parallels and Fusion and try them out for yourself to see what suits you best

Parallels has a nice feature which lets you run the operating systems literally side by side without any window, they call it coherence mode, you basically get a mixed view of application windows/software on the same desktop

the dual boot is a good way to go if you need to use all of the computing power inside Windows or for gaming mostly ... running two systems side by side can get slow
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Not sure about Visual Windows and what it does but I do this for the reason you want to - check email on the Mac and run XP via Parallels all day in business. Love it and have found you need to max the ram to make it happy. I have stayed at V3 of Parallels but have (and not installed) V4 so that stability is paramount at my end. Not the fastest as Boot Camp maybe but works for me and we have two 24 inch - one White (Tiger) and one Aluminum (Leopard).
QUOTE Thanks
Spook

Spook is on a distinguished road

Looks like there are quite a few problems with v4 of Parallels see this. Has anyone any experience?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Looks like there are quite a few problems with v4 of Parallels see this. Has anyone any experience?
I actually bought both programs. Originally, I was a Parallels user, but found it too unstable to continue with. So, I switched over to VMWare Fusion and it's been rock-solid ever since. VMWare also has much better Linux support, if that's of concern.

VMWare pretty much started the virtualization business. Fusion is now a solid, stable and fast product - and in my opinion, Parallels is now in catch-up mode.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Sharing | Poor design in OSX? »