New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Remove Custom Places from Sidebar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LTP

LTP is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

I'm using 10.5.4, and would still consider myself a bit of a new Mac user. I've been dragging any folders I want to shortcut into the sidebar. Problem is, I dragged a couple of folders there months ago, and now those folders don't exist anymore. This is my work computer, and these folders contained things I needed off the server, so I would normally have to enter a password to be able to access them. Any other folder, I can right click and chose "Remove from Sidebar", but these folders say that the volumne has failed to mount and that it cannot be found, and as a result I can't remove them from the sidebar.
I have looked through all the preferences but no where can I see an option to delete custom sidebar places.

Appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This may sound like a stupid question but have you tried just dragging it off of the sidebar?
QUOTE Thanks
LTP

LTP is on a distinguished road

*Hangs head in shame*. Said I was a bit of a new Mac user
I have no idea why I didn't think of that! Thank you, and for not making fun of me
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

We've all been there...
QUOTE Thanks
danco

danco is on a distinguished road

OK, that may work normally, but I had a shortcut to a network resource that no longer exists. So when I click on the shortcut, it gives me an error message saying the folder can't be found...Clicking on it again, of course, brings up the same error message. Ad nauseum. Is there a file where these shortcuts are listed that I could go in and manually purge the bad folders?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

danco:
What?
Where? In the sidebar of your Finder windows? (same as original post)
What OS? 10.5? (same as original post)
QUOTE Thanks
ralf3788

ralf3788 is on a distinguished road

I have jpg image file on my sidebar and I wan't it deleted but it wont. I drag it outside nothing happens and I can't even right click it to see the preferences. Im Using Macbook pro OS X 10.6.8

I figured it out.. thanks hold command and drag the item outside the sidebar then you will see the cloud icon then release
QUOTE Thanks
cmotdibbler

cmotdibbler is on a distinguished road

I created an account here just to say thanks for the tip about using cmd+drag to remove the obsolete file. Will stick around.
QUOTE Thanks
ifv6

ifv6 is on a distinguished road

I'm a little OCD about things so this was really irritating me after upgrading to Lion.

I'm happy to say that the cmnd+drag works wonderfully in Lion as well.

Thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
jenbrink

jenbrink is on a distinguished road

thanks for that tip! I had about 6 folders that I could not do anything with. That worked!
QUOTE Thanks
BlackMesa

BlackMesa is on a distinguished road

I too created an account based on the help I found here. I was scratching my head trying to remove network folders from my places that have become obsolete.

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Plastilina_Ve

Plastilina_Ve is on a distinguished road

Alright, that cmnd+drag thing saved some of us. I also registered only to say "thank you" and "I love you". And I mean it. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kydfavt

kydfavt is on a distinguished road

So, I also registered to say "thank you"
QUOTE Thanks
Victorb

Victorb is on a distinguished road

I also registered to say thanks for the Cmd-drag trick. That has been bugging me for like a year since I replaced an old router.
QUOTE Thanks
brettbarbaro

brettbarbaro is on a distinguished road

Wanted to say thanks for this solution. So why does this happen in the first place, I wonder? Just curious... anybody know?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java 7 update 11 not working in Safari | calibration for mid 2012 MBP »