New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Remove Custom Places from Sidebar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

@brettbarbaro: What does "this" mean in your question? If you're referring to something above, you'll have to identify it.
QUOTE Thanks
brettbarbaro

brettbarbaro is on a distinguished road

@toMACsh I mean, why do some things seem to get stuck in the sidebar and others not?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbarbaro View Post
@toMACsh I mean, why do some things seem to get stuck in the sidebar and others not?
Well in the case of Post #1 above, items that were in the Sidebar were deleted, thus those icons were "stuck" there. I don't know (for sure) of other reasons this could happen. I'd hazard a guess at some sort of corruption, but, who knows?
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyzero

johnnyzero is on a distinguished road

...yet another thank you for the cmd-drag advice. I have had an unburnt cd icon in my sidebar for months that has been bugging me! I have also registered to say thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ames001

ames001 is on a distinguished road

@ralf3788: Also registered just to say thanks. That problem was annoying me for ages.
QUOTE Thanks
dwill

dwill is on a distinguished road

Just registered to say this is great!
Wow. This helped a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
denriddy

denriddy is on a distinguished road

I tried the Cmd-drag thing on some folders that no longer are where they were when I originally added them to "Places," saw the puffy cloud, was happy, and dragged some new folders to the "Places" sidebar menu. Everything was fine. Then I rebooted...

The old phantom "places" are back. The ones I had added--and wanted--are gone.

I have been stuck with these zombie folders in "Places" for many months. I tried getting rid of them in Leopard to no avail, and now the same miserable thing in Snow Leopard. Cmd-drag appears to work, but doesn't. Can anyone rid me of these haunts? Arrrrrrrrrgh!

UPDATE—SOLUTION: I just found out how to kill the beasts, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone who ran into the weird problem I had with Cmd-drag not working. A sure fix is to go to your user folder, then to Library/Preferences, and drag the file named com.apple.sidebarlists.plist to the trash. Then log out and log back in. Your sidebar will have been deloused, and restored to defaults.

If you have a lot of things in the sidebar that you want to have there (in addition to the problem things), do a selective screen grab (Cmd-Shift-4, then drag around what you want to grab) of a sidebar before you trash the .plist. That way, you can open that when you log back in, and use it to set the sidebar back up the way you want it.
QUOTE Thanks
denriddy

denriddy is on a distinguished road

My last post with "UPDATE—SOLUTION" was too much optimism too fast. Yes, it did entirely get rid of the unwanted "Places-that-would-not-die" folders in the sidebar, but after I rebooted some time later, all my custom "Places" that I had dragged into the sidebar and actually wanted were gone. The sidebar had entirely reverted to defaults, ignoring the sidebar preferences I had set.

I'm about ready to just give up trying to use it, but am adding this post to the thread in hopes somebody might have a real solution to this madness.
QUOTE Thanks
NMDragon

NMDragon is on a distinguished road

I, too, registered on MacForums just to say thanks for this great tip!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java 7 update 11 not working in Safari | calibration for mid 2012 MBP »