Question DHCP and PPPOE simultaneously - how?
    I require a local address (via DHCP, in order to access the local network; games, files, etc) as well as a PPPOE connection (for internet). I have Tiger 10.4 and connect via the airport. However, it seems like a PPPOE connection and a DHCP lease are mutually exclusive; when PPPOE is enabled, the DHCP option disappears.

I've already done some searching, but the only thing I've found is this from the apple support site, which doesn't work:
    Mac OS X 10.4: How to use a PPPoE connection while maintaining Bonjour for local network devices
    It requests that you make a copy of the PPPOE connection and then enable DHCP. I don't see how that's meant to help though; one option is still mutually exclusive of the other.

Help appreciated.

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Can you give us a bit more detail about your hardware setup. On the face of it I'd say just get a cheap router and let that handle DHCP. But could do with more info.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

The airport connects to a wireless AP, which is connected by cable to my college's server, which runs DHCP for internal connections and also facilitates PPPOE (an individual connection for each room) for external connections. I really don't know much else than that.

On both windows and linux I am able to set DHCP and PPPOE up as separate connections/interfaces even though they are accessed through the same physical nic.

Thread Information