New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Trouble restoring Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

makingmoves

makingmoves is on a distinguished road

This one is confusing me. I have an old eMac that originally came with 9.2.2. It was upgraded to 10.2.2 for which I have the Mac OS Install discs (2 of them). It was then upgraded to 10.3.9. The only OS install discs I have are the 10.2.2

When placing the discs in the CD tray, I can read/view the discs just fine in the mac once booted. I can display the disc/contents in the preferences section for boot drive. I can hold down "c" when the machine is booting.

None of this will boot the install disc from the CD rom. It will only boot from the internal hard drive. I even held down "option" to select the cd rom myself. It only lists the internal HD. I was told the "option" key can take minutes to display all the boot options, I left it for 30 minutes and it still only listed the internal HD.

I bought an external firewire enclosure for a 5.25" cd rom incase my internal cd rom was busted. It will read/view the installer disc just fine much like the internal, but it will not boot the installer disc either.

I am lost, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

This older thread from Apple's site may answer your question:
Apple - Support - Discussions - emac wont boot from cd or hard drive ...

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Norton Internet Security for Mac | My iMac can't stop talking »