New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Clean Install (Restore)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

felipecabral26

felipecabral26 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 2.14GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM

This will be a long post... so be ready to read. Every 6 months or so I would pick up my OS X restore dvds and do a complete clean install on my system. It's now been more than a year since the last time and my mac has become a little cluttered. I mean... Safari stopped working and somehow (following tips and tricks from countless forums) I managed to get it opening again... I can say it is not what it used to be. Lagging... frustrating and so on. Lately whenever I try to burn a cd or dvd I get an error message saying that the optical drive cannot respond blah, blah, blah... and I have to try again and again until it responds again. I found a tip somewhere telling me to reset my PR-RAM (or something like that) and it worked... but I don't want to be doing this every time I re-boot. Going back to Safari... I did give Firefox a chance but for some reason I just can't get around it. Almost every program takes a while to start responding immediately after I open it (not the case before) and many other annoying little bugs keep lurking in the corners. I have come to the conclusion to once again do a clean install... but as I mentioned... it's been about year since the last time I did this, so there are numerous customized settings, tons of add-ons and similar stuff, and I just don't wanna go through the hassle of re-configuring every little thing. I mean, my media is all backed up and fine... but small things like my websites created in iWeb and my videos imported from my mini dv cam in iMovie are are going to be a handful to backup. I have custom brushes in photoshop, tons of contacts in Address Book, stuff on iCal, games with countless saved games...etc. I'm pretty sure you can backup all of that, but frankly, I don't see an effortless or easy process. So I plea... is there any easy alternative to get my system back to the good old days?? I mean, anything would be deeply appreciated. Maybe i'll be able to cut some corners and do this in a painless way... Thanks for reading this post (or should I say 'short novel')
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« duplicate emails keep coming | i need help »