New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Swapping OS drives between Two Power Mac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

larrybassman

larrybassman is on a distinguished road

I am the Technical Director at our church. We have two Power Mac G5 computers. I know very little about the Mac, but I'm trying to learn.

One Mac has the 2.5 GHz dual processors and the other has a single 1.8 GHz processor. I inherited this mess when I was hired at the first of this year. The 1.8 GHz has Leopard, FinalCut Pro Studio 6.0 and I just ordered iLife for the Mac. I was very confused as to why one Mac was so much faster that the other until I looked at the System Profiler of both Macs. The dual processor Mac has Tiger on it and FinalCut Pro 6.0 on it.

My question is, can I switch operating system hard drives between the two Macs??? I want Leopard on the 2.5 GHz dual processor Mac along with FinalCut Pro Studio and iLife.

Can the Mac handle this without going crazy?????? I know that this will work on some Windows PC, while it won't work on other PCs.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The standard specs for both machines reports they each use 1 160GB SATA drive with 1.5GB transfer rate so just swap them around no problems. Here are the specs for the DP and if you look at the system bus speed etc. you will understand why it is so much faster than the very early 1.8GHz G5. Also there is quite a bit of differencde in the graphic display card of the two units.

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.5 DP (PCI-X) Specs (Mid-2004 - M9457LL/A) @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i need help | Automator workflow with itunes? »