New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.0 - dont know which OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terrysweet

terrysweet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powerbook G3 400 mghz

Hello everyone....I have tried everything I know to get into this thing.....I don't have the password I was told to reboot while holding down the apple and S keys so I could enter some information and reset the password....I am told that a black screen will come up....but it keeps going back to th3 log in screen....can anyone help??
QUOTE Thanks
terrysweet

Hello everyone....I have tried everything I know to get into this thing.....I don't have the password I was told to reboot while holding down the apple and S keys so I could enter some information and reset the password....I am told that a black screen will come up....but it keeps going back to th3 log in screen....can anyone help?? The OS is 9.2 holding the apple & s gets me nowhere
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you have the original install media? See the following thread on the same subject: Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
terrysweet

No...I don't have the original install media.......so any ideas.....Thanks for responding and trying to help me
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Looks like you are oing to have to buy the install discs as that is the way it needs to be done and are you really using OS X.0, which was a beta test release?

For a G3 suggest looking for Panther OS X.3 CD's at eBay and such.
QUOTE Thanks
terrysweet

Harryb......I appreciate all the help I can get....... I just thought that the O S was what shows up on the screen....welcome to mac O S 9.2....is that the X.0? I certainly don't know...and one more question....I have the install for a power macintosh g3...............is that the same thing????..I really thank you for all of your help! ..I need it...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No terry grey coloured system restore discs are extremely model specific. You really do need an install disc to rest the password. Suggest looking for Panther OS X.3 and install that on your G3 with an erase and cleaqn install.

Make sure you purchase the black discs which are known as the full retail version. Also have a look at this link:-

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysweet View Post
Harryb......I appreciate all the help I can get....... I just thought that the O S was what shows up on the screen....welcome to mac O S 9.2....is that the X.0?
The 'X' in OS X stands for roman numeral '10'. So, OS X means OS 10. Subsequent versions had "nicknames", for example, OS X 10.5 is nicknamed "Leopard".

You happen to be using an operating system that predated OS X, it is in fact OS 9.2, which is obsolete - that operating system is nearly 8 years old.

If you intend to use the computer to run modern software (and that might be difficult, considering the age of the machine), you should invest in OS X 10.4 (Tiger), which is the newest version of OS X your machine will support. You may have to upgrade the memory to 512MB (at a minimum), however.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
terrysweet

I thank all of you for trying to help me with my problem.........Sounds like I have a really old machine and need to look 4 something alot better though....Once again THANKS!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac can't stop talking | Reinstalling 10.4 problems.. »