New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How to reinstall Mac Os

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mackybooky

mackybooky is on a distinguished road

I have got an used Macbook A1181, with Intel C2D CPU and need to reinstall operating system as earlier one is messed up with experimenting by earlier usage and there doesn't seem to be more option left but to reformattting to clean up.
What options there are to get missing installation CD's? Can I download Mac OS and later drivers like for Windows XP?
Does Max OS requires a activation like XP?

I'm not sure what version is installed now but "check for updates" offers to download 10.5.6 675MB

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

To reinstall, boot from the install disc by holding down the "C" key right after the startup sound. The "archive and install" option will preserve your data and make a backup of the old system (which you can delete later). You don't have to download any drivers as they are included in the OS. A clean install wouldn't be a bad idea, since you can also disable extra languages and unneeded printer drivers to save space.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
mackybooky

And the install disk is named something like Mac Osx 10.5 Leopard Pc x86?
The macbook doesn't have any serials attached.
Is there a Mac Leopard key, I must write down from computer before fresh install?
I wonder, do I need to reactivate it after installation or is Mac hardware recognized automatically and no questions asked?

Thank you!

Ps. I don't have any original CDs but need to download one.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What you need to do is call Apple and get a replacement set of disks for your machine. Have read those are around $30-40.

Or, you can purchase a retail set of Leopard disks.

This forum abides by U.S. law. Therefore, the illegal downloading and installing is not something we discuss here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mackybooky

Thanks for replies. But isn't, that Mac Os isn't sold separately? One can't install it to anything else but Mac and licence is already included with hardware?

A friendly reply would be of a great help and I'm not sure what do you consider illegal in my posting.

I hope the question isn't against US laws as Mac owner might to know it preliminary.

???Does it requires any serial I must write down from MY MACBOOK prior to clean install???

Thanks for understanding.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I believe that particular Mac shipped with Tiger. If you want to do a fresh install of the original OS on the machine give Apple a call. They only charge a minimal amount to replace the disks. The original disks are system specific. I do not believe a Tiger retail disk will install on an Intel machine.

If you want to install Leopard, and were not given a set of Leopard disks with the machine, then you don't really have a legal copy of it. You'll need to purchase a retail copy.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mackybooky

Thanks! About this Mac states OS x 10.5. Googling claims it's a Leopard. It must be the origanal installation, I don't believe that previous user even thought about updating op system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« weird window closing problem - help please! | how to config my external monitor on mac? »