New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Terminal - Missing command prompt

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AR3Y35

AR3Y35 is on a distinguished road

I'm not getting a command prompt in the Terminal app (Applications/Utilities). When I launch Terminal all I get is one line...

Last login: Sun Feb 8 08:22:27 on ttys003.

Right below that line is a solid cursor. When I press ENTER the only thing that happens is that the cursor skips to the next line. How do I get my command prompt back?

The last thing I did on Terminal was execute the following lines...
cd /private/etc
sudo cp php.ini.default php.ini

Please help. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

When you type a command into this "no command prompt" Terminal, is the command executed? I.e., does "ls<ENTER>" give you a list of directory contents (with no command prompt afterwards)?
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

No, when I type "ls" and press ENTER in the "no command prompt" Terminal the cursor just skips to the next line and nothing else seems to happen.

Commands to work via Shell -> New Command
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it sounds like somehow your account doesn't have a valid shell. If you do a Shell -> new command -> dscl . -read /Users/<username> shell

what does it say?

btw it should come back with something like...

mikeMbp:etc mike$ dscl . -read /Users/mike shell
dsAttrTypeNative:shell: /bin/bash

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

dsAttrTypeNative:shell: /bin/bash

That's all the command returned. Nothing like "mikeMbp:etc mike$ dscl . -read /Users/mike shell" was displayed.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Wow, so it just gives you a usage statement. Hmm.. Do you have any other users on the system?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

Yes, in addition to the Admin account that I'm using, I have a Guest and Standard as well. All accounts have the same problem. I've even created a 2nd Admin account only to find the same problem there. The 2nd Admin account has been deleted.

Terminal has worked with my Admin, Guest and Standard account.

I first notice the problem when I activated PHP on Apache.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Ok, so it does return /bin/bash... you have a defined shell, great!

what does an ls -l /bin/bash show?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Ok, so it does return /bin/bash... you have a defined shell, great!

what does an ls -l /bin/bash show?
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1244928 May 31 2008 /bin/bash
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

well, looks like that's all there. I can not think of any reason that changing the php.ini would prevent you from logging in and gaining a shell. You could try removing the php.ini

mv /private/etc/php.ini /private/etc/php.foo

mike
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

Removing the php.ini made not difference
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Has this been persistent through a reboot?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

sorry for being a noob.

What do you mean by persistent through a reboot? How can I tell?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Have you rebooted your computer?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
AR3Y35

Yes I have.

I've also turned Web Sharing off, rebooted, and launched Terminal again...no luck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck On The Gray Apple Screen - Won't Start | OS X 10.4 Installation »