New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Mac way of uninstalling?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deadleg22

deadleg22 is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm quite new to mac's and am just used to the windows way of deleting and uninstalling items. I read somewhere the to delete items you just need to simply move the item into the trash bin, and then empty the trash can. Does this truly delete the item? if not is there a program to completely delete it? (i know I had to use a program to completely delete an item in windows).
Also when it comes to uninstalling programs, there is no uninstallation program. How do I properly uninstall a program?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The vast majority of applications do not use an uninstaller, simply dragging them to the trash does in deed delete them.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
deadleg22

deadleg22 is on a distinguished road

oh kwl ty for the fast response. It just seems to fast for deleting, thus to good to be true. I now like my mac even more . I just dont like how mac's hide files away thou o.0
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

In addition to what DysF has said, you can Secure Empty Trash if you want to overwrite with 0's and 1's the space that the item once occupied.

As advised, that is not necessary most of the time, unless the material is sensitive and you don't wish any record of it to remain.

There is a third and even stronger method of removing items, and that is to Erase Free Space after deleting the item(s). It's a tedious process, but it is very secure.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

If you want to remove the preferences and extra stuff (like extensions and bookmarks for a web browser) associated with a program in addition to the program itself, look in the folders ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support and erase the appropriate files/folders. Other than that, simply deleting the .app is how you get rid of any program that didn't use an installer to be installed. If it did use an installer, it probably came with an uninstaller.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal - opening attachments | Get an external Hard Drive for macbook pro »