New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to open a .wmv file?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Horatio Street

It's just one thing after another with this system for me!

I dowloaded a .wmv file. I expected it to open automatically but it didn't. I got a message asking me what application I wanted to use to open it.

How do I open it and how do I make it so that I don't have to jump through so many hoops in the future with other .wmv downloads?

Thanks y'all.
:dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

go to versiontracker.com and download windows media player for os x, or get another player that plays wmv, like mplayer or vlc.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

windows media player mac os x, get it from visiontracker or alternatively from the microsoft site, just do a search for it in google.

where can i find decent codecs?? and why does media player not play *.avi??
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

mplayer plays avi files really good. avi is not the same as wmv, in no way, shape, or form.
what sort of codecs are you looking for?
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

i downloaded windows media player from the msn site and it doesnt want to play .avi ?? i want all the codecs i need to watch divX movies on my mac. i can watch them on quicktime now but quicktime doesnt have a full screen option, which is really annoying, vlc dont work either.

any help would be greatly appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

mmmmm, i actually figured it out now, media player still doesnt play it but VLC does YAY
QUOTE Thanks
Horatio Street

Hey, everyone ... THANK YOU!

You've been a great help.

:girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwon
i downloaded windows media player from the msn site and it doesnt want to play .avi ?? i want all the codecs i need to watch divX movies on my mac. i can watch them on quicktime now but quicktime doesnt have a full screen option, which is really annoying, vlc dont work either.

any help would be greatly appreciated
qt has a fullscreen option, and there are codecs to play avi in qt, but avi sux, its biggest flaws include, but arent limited to misaligned A and V tracks, choppy video, etc. I recommend you use mplayer to watch avi's, like vlc, only far superior. or convert the avi's into movs using divx dr. 2 and watch those in qt.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

i cant for the life of me find the shortcut key for qt's fullscreen option
QUOTE Thanks
Zeb

The big problem with AVI files is that it's a generic label for a video file.

Video files stored with an AVI extension can have a separate codec for audio and video and each of those can be a whole range of things.

For example, a video encoded with DivX will be stored as AVI and the audio could be encoded with a completely different audio codec like MP3 or AC3.

On my PC, I use a handy little program called GSpot which tells me which codecs an AVI file requires and if they're installed on my computer. If such a program exists for the Mac I've yet to find it. If you can find the four character codec identifier string (aka. 4CC) then just search the net for it using that.

http://img200.exs.cx/img200/9365/gspot8hc.gif]Sample
(Sample GSpot image, hosted on Imageshack)
Audio: MP3
Video: DivX
4CC: DIV3

I hope this is of help
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yea, avi is just a wrapper, not even its own format. I think the shortcut in qt for full screen is command+F.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

thanks for all the input on the topic got it sorted now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« resetting SU ? | Before Mac OS 10.4 - Secure Empty Trash »