New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Get an external Hard Drive for macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yinglcs

yinglcs is on a distinguished road

Hi,

If I need to buy an external hard drive for my macbook pro, can I buy the western digital passport drives? (the ones works with windows)? Or I need the one which are Mac specified? (those are more expensive, i think).

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can use the WD Passport or any other drive for that matter. The problem you may run into is that nowadays most large external hard drives are pre-formatted at the factory to NTFS. That means you'll have to use Disk Utility to erase the drive and format as either FAT-32 or HFS + so your Mac can both read and write to it. (OS X can read NTFS but not write to it.)

Of course you can always use something like Paragon NTFS for OS X to read and write to NTFS but it's best to reformat the drive instead.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dicdoc2b

dicdoc2b is on a distinguished road

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X is a great program to have, especially if you are putting data onto a hard drive that isn't yours and that you cannot format.

I would be careful using it, though, as it seems to have trouble if you are transferring large amounts of data at a time (>15GB, for example). In that situation, it will stop the transfer of data and leave you with one or more files/folders that can be moved to the trash but are not able to be deleted from there. I had to re-format a hard drive to solve the problem as "Tra****" and "Force Delete" failed to empty the trash.

Overall, though, if you can format the new hard drive as soon as you get it, you'll most likely be better off.
QUOTE Thanks
yinglcs

yinglcs is on a distinguished road

I have a new external hard drive. Can you please tell me what should I format the hard drive to so that I can read/write from Mac OS and Windows?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

I currently have two WD portable hard drives and never formatted, just used straight from the box. The first is a 320 gig hooked up to my Airport Extreme, accessed by 3 PCs and my MBP. The other is a 500gig WD passport studio for mac (FW800) and it is used only for my MBP. Once again, never formatted either one and had no problems, can read and write to both...

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinglcs View Post
I have a new external hard drive. Can you please tell me what should I format the hard drive to so that I can read/write from Mac OS and Windows?

Thank you.
You'll need to format it to FAT32. It is possible the drive came formatted that way. You can check the current format in Disk Utility. It will give you info of the existing format at the bottom of the screen.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac way of uninstalling? | Lost files »