New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Erase Free Space Function in disk utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SDeadalus

SDeadalus is on a distinguished road

Hi.......

I needed to securely delete all files so I could transfer my laptop. I utilized the erase free space function on my Macbook (OS X 10.4.11) and it hung up on me while I did this. When I rebooted the machine my 300 GB HD that had close to 210 GB free before the "erase free space" function was initialized now has only 2.0 MB of space left. I tried to run the function again (3 times) to see if it would delete a temp file or something and it comes up with the same issue.

Any advice on how to clean the files off that it wrote so I can free space? I know I have tons of space on this drive but dont want to just start deleting files.

Any help is appreciated....
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dbnoise

dbnoise will become famous soon enough

The file is creates can be located while logged in as the root user you can manually delete them by locating the file under /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ and are sequential variations of the name EFTFile1.sparseimage
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange double clicking problem | Temporarily Disable iSight Webcam? »